Will you inspire and train the medics and healthcare professionals of the future? Our PGCert, PGDip and MSc in Medical Education introduce the principles of teaching, learning and assessing others. Modules are studied through online learning (distance learning) which includes live online teaching, seminar sessions, self-directed tasks and tutorial support.
Why study with us
- Our e-learning programme equips healthcare professionals with the knowledge and skills to build on their current educator experiences and explicitly enables use of these experiences within module assessments.
- You can tailor your studies at PG Cert and Diploma level, and your research at MSc, to suit your healthcare context, educator role and career aspirations using our wide range of option modules.
- AoME AccreditationPlus course: On completion of our PGCert, PGDip or MSc courses you will be able to apply directly for membership of the Academy of Medical Educators.
Gallery01 / 04
What you'll do
- You’ll have multiple opportunities to learn educational practices from experts in their fields and to explore insights offered by different healthcare sectors.
- You'll study a flexible programme that allows several pathways through to MSc: formal healthcare education, educational research, educational assessment, work- and practice-based mentoring / preceptorship.
- You will have close support and supervision at all stages of the course and benefit from multi-professional learning with the support of peers from a range of healthcare disciplines.
Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert)
The PGCert comprises 3 core modules that focus on the fundamental principles of healthcare education and allow you to apply evidence-based practice to your educator role. Modules cover teaching, learning and assessment in healthcare settings as well as considering how professionalism can be taught, developed and assessed. Alternatively, you can substitute 1 core module for one of the option modules.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip)
If you follow the standard route (outlined above), you will complete one more compulsory module: Curriculum Design and 2 additional modules that can be chosen from a suite of options. Whether you take the standard or alternative route, you will have undertaken all 4 core modules and 2 option modules to complete your PG Diploma.
This allows you to tailor your learning pathway to suit career aspirations, healthcare context and educator role. You could continue to expand your knowledge of assessment, focus on specific strategies for coaching and mentoring, or branch out to explore educational research. You may choose to focus on workplace learning, and therefore choose a module that allows you to showcase your CPD and application of learning in the clinical context.
In the MSc programme, you will develop the research skills needed to undertake a small-scale, but high quality, research project in healthcare education, relevant to you own healthcare context and research interests. Students are encouraged to write their dissertations to include an article suitable for publication or a means of disseminating their findings to the appropriate practitioner audience. You will have at least one personal supervisor from the Medical Education team to ensure full and effective support in areas of research design, educational question/research topic, analysis and dissemination of findings.
This is a distance learning course which is taught entirely online with no face-to-face teaching.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
The programme has been developed in close liaison with GPs, NHS Trusts, CCGs and clinicians to ensure it meets the needs of the health economy.
- The MSc/PGDip/PGCert Medical Education and its modules are accredited by the Academy of Medical Educators. To qualify for full membership, three modules (including two from MB4105, MB4102, MB4104 & MB4123) will need to have been undertaken.
- The centre is accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons, a professional membership organisation and registered charity which exists to advance patient care. The Royal College of Surgeons of England, registered charity number 212808.
On completion, you will be well placed to influence the role and the research of medical education in patient care at a local, regional and national level.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount
This course is based in the School of Medicine and Dentistry
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page