Our Postgraduate Certificate in Investigating Serious Incidents will provide you with a thorough grounding in the theory, evidence base and practice of investigating serious case incidents as part of a senior role within your organisation.
Why study with us
- This is the only University-accredited course in the UK which helps to prepare people in the investigation of serious untoward incidents.
- Course content is delivered by experts in the field of Serious Incident Investigation, from clinical and legal backgrounds.
- The course includes the perspectives of the families affected by serious incidents in mental health care.
What you'll do
- The course takes you through the stages of the investigation process.
- The programme utilises a systematic approach, including information gathering, interviewing, analysing data and writing up a final report suitable for publication.
- The structure of the course includes 3 core modules at 20 credits each.
This is a distance learning course which is taught entirely online with no face-to-face teaching.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View our course facilities
Alison qualified as an RMN in 1986, and spent the majority of her career working in secure mental health and learning disability settings, as a Ward Manager, then Matron / Integrated Team Manager, but has also worked in community and adult and older adult in-patient settings. S…
Many academics are research and clinically active, and have strong links with local NHS Trusts (particularly Lancashire and South Cumbria Foundation NHS Trust, Mersey Care Foundation NHS Trust).
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.