Social Work and Social Care Centre for CPD
We provide Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and Continuing Education (CE) for Social Work and Social Care practitioners in the UK.
All of our courses are taught by subject experts and professional practitioners. Our unique and flexible approach to learning enables you to access individual CPD events and modules whilst building credits towards a target award (such as a post-graduate certificate, a post-graduate diploma or a Masters degree).
We offer a wide range of CPD opportunities with particular expertise in:
- Assessed and Supported Year in Employment
- Approved Mental Health Professional
- Best Interest Assessor
- Practice Education (Stage 1 and Stage 2)
- Assessed and Supported Year in Employment
- Professional Doctorate (for practitioners)
If you have any enquires please contact the team on +44 (0)1772 894361 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ethics and accreditations
We work in line with both the British Association of Social Workers (BASW) and Social Work profession regulators Code of Ethics. In February 2018 the Centre was one of the first organisations to be awarded accreditation under the BASW CPD Provider Accreditation Scheme. The scheme provides a marker of excellence in the delivery of professional development and training. All our CPD has the BASW Code of Ethics at the heart of its delivery.
A wide range of modules are available to enhance your knowledge, develop skills and further your CPD and Continuing Education. Most of the following modules can be completed individually. Many can also be combined to allow you to work towards a target award (such as a post-graduate certificate, a post-graduate diploma or a masters degree),
Please contact the team to discuss your options, the best combination of modules and course availability :
- Advanced Facilitation of Learning in the Workplace (SW4706)
- Advanced Mental Health Practice (SW4714)
- ASYE: Demonstrating Capability in Social Work Practice (SW4701)
- Best Interest Assessor (SW4120)
- Childhood in Law and Welfare (SW4032)
- Critical Reflection on Professional Learning and Development (SW4703)
- Global Perspectives on Children’s Participation (SW4709)
- Introduction to Facilitating Learning in the Workplace (SW4705)
- Introduction to Social Research (SW4027)
- Leadership for Innovation and Integration (SW4707)
- Leading and Inspiring Through Professional Supervision (SW4704)
- Responding to Contemporary Issues in Professional Practice and Mental Health Law (SW4726)
- Responding to Contemporary Issues in Social Work and Social Care (SW4712)
- Safeguarding and Adult Protection (SW4702)
- Safeguarding Children and Young People (SW4033)
- Safeguarding Children in an International Context (SW4035)
- Social Perspectives on Personality Disorder (SW4716)
- Theorising Childhood and Adolescence (SW4085)
- Understanding Mental Health Practice (SW4713)
We offer a variety of professional courses. Please follow the links below to find out more information about these including; content, module options, learning environment and assessment, entry requirements and application instructions.
For courses with optional modules and flexible intakes, we can discuss the best options for you at any time in the process.
We will consider accreditation of prior learning for the modules on all Centre for CPD courses.
- Mental Health Law and Practice, Cert
- Leadership and Management in Social Work and Social Care, PGCert
- Mental Health Practice Including Approved Mental Health Professional (Amhp) Training, PGCert
- Professional Development and Practice, PGCert
- Professional Practice and Mental Health Law, PGCert
- Specialist Child Care Practice, PGCert
- Specialist Practice with Adults, PGCert
- Professional Development and Practice, PG Diploma
- Professional Development and Practice, MA
The Centre is also able to offer onsite and bespoke training in many areas of practice, contemporary themes and theory, research and policy.
We have a large staff team of academics and researchers and therefore have contemporary expertise in social work and social care to deliver high quality bespoke training to meet workforce training needs where and when you need it. Please ask us about your specific needs.
Some examples of training topics we have recently provided include:
- Emotional Intelligence
- Asset Based Community Development
- Digital Professionalism in Social Work
- Risk Analysis
- Refresher for AMHPs
- Care Act Implementation
- Social Pedagogy
- Mental Health Act Legal Update
- Mental Capacity
- Domestic Violence
We also provide exclusive delivery of certain modules, which can be delivered at your premises or the University’s Preston or Burnley campuses, using face to face, on-line and blended learning.