Software Engineering (Foundation Entry)
Gain software development skills in a practical, hands-on way with our Software Engineering Foundation Entry Degree course. You’ll cover a range of technologies - from mobile phones to enterprise applications - across the whole development lifecycle. And you’ll understand the requirements of each stage, from design and implementation to testing.
Why study with us
- In your first year you’ll develop interactive games using 3D graphics.
- We emphasise practical-based learning using purpose-built laboratories and the University's general computer rooms.
- Take part in our ‘Computing Challenge’, where first year students work as teams to design and develop a new app in a competitive and supportive environment.
Discover our Computer Science courses
What you'll do
- As well as being introduced to software development, investigating IT and problem-solving for computing; you’ll also acquire advanced study skills.
- You’ll also be introduced to mathematical methods.
- You’ll work in Agile teams to develop realistic applications, and develop skills in advanced programming and computational thinking.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Have an offer to study this September?
Received an offer to study a course at UCLan? Book your offer holder day for the opportunity to explore life here and chat to our current students.Book your offer holder day
View the course facilities
Accreditations and Memberships
- The CITP provides independent recognition for professionals in the IT industry. This course has accreditation leading to BCS Professional Member (MBCS), Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP) and partial CEng exemption from the BCS, the professional computing body.
- The BCS are the professional body for computing and provide recognition for professionals in the IT industry. This course has accreditation leading to BCS Professional Member (MBCS), Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP) and partial CEng exemption from the BCS.
- We are an Educational Member of the British Computer Society providing benefits to our students such a free BCS membership for the duration of their Computer Science course. This help connections with the tech industry through BCS mentors, enables access to bespoke events with industry experts, as well as interactive career tools include CV writer, interview simulator, personal assessments and e-learning.
Our Software Engineering Foundation Entry course is a great stepping stone to a rewarding career. Graduates of this course have gone on to work for companies like Nokia, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Intel and EA games, while others have started their own companies.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Psychology and Computer Science located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page