Mechanical Engineering (Foundation Entry)
Take your love of design, construction and the use of machines to the next level on our Mechanical Engineering Foundation Entry Degree, MEng (Hons).
Foundation Entry degree courses are designed for students who have the ability to study for a degree, but don’t have the necessary formal qualifications to directly enter their chosen Honours degree programme.
Mechanical engineers use their knowledge of fundamental engineering principles like mechanics, materials, thermo-fluids and computer-aided design to analyse and design objects and systems with motion.
This MEng course includes a higher-level project that enables you to demonstrate application of your knowledge at a fully professional level. A group project develops and demonstrates your ability to work within a team - experience that is highly valued in industry.
Why study with us
- Our Mechanical Engineering provision is ranked in the UK’s top 10 for student satisfaction, and 1st in the North West (Complete University Guide, 2021).
- There’s an optional placement route to spend a year in industry between Year 2 and Year 3.
- Benefit from the latest high-quality equipment available in our new £35m Engineering Innovation Centre.
Take a look at our amazing Engineering Innovation Centre
What you'll do
- You’ll have the opportunity to join the Innovation Club and work with a group of students and staff on projects.
- You’ll be tutored by world-class academics with both industry and research experience.
- Our Engineering Innovation Centre enables you to work on real-world projects with commercial partners in state-of-the-art facilities.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Study in our Engineering Innovation Centre (EIC)
During your studies with us you’ll benefit from our new £35 million EIC building which provides an integrated teaching space in state-of-the-art facilities.Find out more
- This MEng course is accredited by the IED as fulfilling the educational requirements to become a Chartered Engineer. The IED is a leading membership body representing engineering product designers.
View the course facilities
Mechanical Engineering can lead to a diverse career in aerospace, the automotive industry, biotechnology, computing and electronics, energy conversion, the Ministry of Defence and research development.
If you’re interested in the applied scientific and mathematical aspects of the discipline, you can carry on into a career in research and teaching.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Engineering located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page