Aiming for a senior role in fire safety? This could be the course for you. Fire Engineering impacts on all our lives whether we realise it or not. Find out more on our BEng Fire Engineering degree.
Our course is externally accredited. It’s practical and focuses on fire in the context of buildings and infrastructure, the technology for predicting fires, and designs for fire safety.
Fire and fire safety are key issues in building, infrastructure design and high-hazard industries. Our programme was developed in consultation with employers and professional bodies and because of our established research base, the content is current and highly relevant.
The application of fire engineering in the real world is multidisciplinary and so is our course. You’ll carry out project work, liaising between fire engineers and other members of the design and management teams.
Our course builds on the training and educational programmes offered by the Institution of Fire Engineers.
You’ll get the chance to work with fire safety engineering companies, all with the aim of boosting your employability when you graduate.
Why study with us
- This course is ranked 3rd in the UK with 92% of students in graduate-level work or further study after graduating (Complete University Guide 2021)
- This course is ranked 1st in the UK with 92% of students satisfied with the learning resources (National Student Survey 2020)
- Benefit from the latest high-quality equipment and facilities available in our new £35m Engineering Innovation Centre.
What you'll do
- You’ll have hands-on practical experience throughout the course as well as meeting with industrial representatives, giving you a real life aspect to the course.
- Take up the chance for international exchange visits with our partners in the Middle East and Hong Kong.
- Our Engineering Innovation Centre enables you to work on real-world projects with commercial partners in state-of-the-art facilities.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Study in our Engineering Innovation Centre (EIC)
During your studies with us you’ll benefit from our new £35 million EIC building which provides an integrated teaching space in state-of-the-art facilities.Find out more
View the course facilities
- This course is accredited by the EI on behalf of the Engineering Council, which plays an active role in ensuring that the course is developed to meet the needs of industry. The EI is a chartered professional membership body bringing together expertise to tackle urgent global challenges, responding to the climate emergency while meeting the energy needs of the world’s growing population.
- This course is recognised by the IFE as a Recognised Educational Programme (with academic exemption) for Member Grade (MIFireE). The IFE awards internationally recognised qualifications and membership, and plays an active role in ensuring that the course is developed to meet professional needs."
As a Fire Engineering graduate, you’ll be able to enter many roles within the fire industry including with fire engineering companies, fire safety engineering consultants, and fire safety officers within fire and rescue services or the wider public sector.
Some of our graduates have been hired by engineering companies including BuroHappold Engineering, WSP, ARUP, Horea Lea, Tenos Fire Safety Engineering, London Underground and BAE Systems.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Engineering located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page