English Language & Linguistics (Foundation Entry)
Take a deep dive into the English Language – exploring how it works as a structure, and how it can be used in social settings – on our course.
Foundation Entry degree courses are ideal if you’ve got the ability to study for a degree, but don’t have the necessary formal qualifications to directly join an honours programme. It’s a great stepping stone to a full degree.
Our programme is very flexible and there are two pathways: a standard pathway and a Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) pathway.
You’ll have a lot of choice on this course. There are modules to suit any interest – from language structure to the teaching of language, language and gender, and forensic linguistics.
Why study with us
- English Language is ranked 1st in the UK for Assessment and Feedback - National Student Survey (NSS) 2020.
- Linguistics at the University of Central Lancashire is ranked 1st in the North West and 3rd nationally for student satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2022)
- We’re a small and dedicated team, so we’ll get to know you well, and some of our researchers are deemed world leading in their fields.
What you'll do
- We have links with a network of regional schools, for those interested in pursuing careers in teaching and education.
- You’ll gain work experience on the English Language Skills Initiative for Employability (ELSIE) programme, writing for the press and client publications.
- Our international scheme means that you can pick to study a semester or full year abroad.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
Our English Language and Linguistics Foundation Entry degree could lead to a career in local government and public services, marketing, publishing, the police force and graduate entry schemes in the private sector.
Graduates have also gone on to study to become teachers, or stepped into postgraduate research programmes.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Humanities, Language & Global Studies located in the Faculty of Culture and Creative Industries
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page