Our popular BA (Hons) Education & Sociology degree combines the complementary disciplines of education and sociology, with principles of social justice at its core.
Why study with us
- Education courses at the University of Central Lancashire are ranked in the top 20 in the UK for overall student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2021).
- Social Sciences is ranked 4th in the UK with 90% student satisfaction. (National Student Survey 2022).
- You’ll have opportunities to undertake work placements in each of your three years of study in an educational setting (nursery, primary, secondary or further education/ training).
What you'll do
- You could gain international work experience in your third year through modules created by the University’s Centre for Volunteering and Community Leadership (CVCL).
- The CVCL modules allow you to get hands-on with a project that could benefit communities all over the world. They are accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM).
- There are opportunities to go on international trips; previously students have gone to destinations such as South Africa, Cyprus and China to study their education systems. You could choose to take time out to spend a year teaching abroad with one of our international partners - in 2019-20, students worked as assistant teachers at schools in Madrid and Barcelona.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
Previous graduates have gone on to become teachers in primary school or further education (after gaining a PGCE or other postgraduate teacher training qualification).
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
Contextualised Admissions Bursary
We recognise that the last two years have been very challenging for young people and learning has been impacted. To help support students eligible for a contextualised offer we are offering a bursary of £250 in their first year of study.Find out more about Contextualised Admissions Bursary
This course is based in the School of Psychology and Humanities
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page