Our biology degree covers all the major biological concepts, including evolution and genetics. You'll also gain valuable hands-on experience in laboratories and learn important field techniques.
Why study with us
- Biology was ranked in the top three in the North West and in the top 20 in the UK for student satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2021)
- You’ll develop advanced knowledge of contemporary biology, and high-level technical skills.
- Make lifelong friends on residential field courses (UK trips are included in your fees; optional overseas trips are extra).
Biology degree trip01 / 01
Biology course gallery01 / 06
Biology at university
- You’ll study a range of biology topics, from microbes to humans. Including the biology of disease, the natural world, evolution, genetics and how humans and organisms interact with their environment.
- You’ll have the opportunity to gain work experience at the Young Scientist Centre (YSC). This will enhance your employability in areas such as science communication and education.
- You can apply for the Undergraduate Research Internship Scheme run by the University. It is based with the biology teaching team over the summer, and you can take an optional work-based module in your final year.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Have an offer to study this September?
Received an offer to study a course at UCLan? Book your offer holder day for the opportunity to explore life here and chat to our current students.Book your offer holder day
Biology course facilities
What can I do with a biology degree?
You can follow a range of biology-related careers. From becoming a research scientist or technician to working in the health or pharmaceutical industries. You could also pursue conservation and species management or teaching and science communication.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences located in the Faculty of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page