Our Archaeology course is jointly accredited by the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (CIfA) and the University Archaeology UK group (UAUK). You'll experience hands-on fieldwork which draws on humanities, social sciences and core science - an ideal start to your career.
Why study with us
- 1stin the UK for teaching on the courseNational Student Survey (Archaeology) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
- 1stin the UK for overall positivityNational Student Survey (Archaeology) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
- 2ndin the UK for student satisfactionComplete University Guide (Archaeology)
- You'll become part of a friendly community of like-minded individuals - students, academics and global researchers.
- Spend 10 weeks in the field, working on real research excavations across the UK, making significant finds while developing both transferrable skills and knowledge.
- We have state-of-the-art facilities, including an on-campus training excavation site, archaeological science lab, soil flotation unit, dedicated human bone labs, 3D scanners and cutting-edge excavation equipment.
What you’ll do
- You’ll have the flexibility to delve into the specialist areas that interest you most, with optional units in everything from cultural anthropology to human remains.
- We have an experienced team of research-active staff, with an excellent staff-student ratio – ensuring you’ll have plenty of personal support and attention.
- With the addition of a major research project, you can convert your degree to the four-year MSci qualification.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
- This course has been accredited by the CifA. Nationally we are one of only seven universities to receive this accreditation. In their report, assessors commented that "The focus on excavation and field archaeology is clearly a unique selling point of the department, and it is clear that students leave with an unparalleled level and range of experience."
Our BSc (Hons) Archaeology course offers the specialist knowledge and hands-on skills you’ll need to explore a career in this fascinating profession.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
Contextualised Admissions Bursary
We recognise that the last two years have been very challenging for young people and learning has been impacted. To help support students eligible for a contextualised offer we are offering a bursary of £250 in their first year of study.Find out more about Contextualised Admissions Bursary