Skip to main content

How much will your postgraduate research cost?

It is important that you know how you are going to fund your studies for the duration of your research degree, and ensure you have the resources to pay all your fees, costs associated with your research programme and your living expenses. 

About your tuition fees and when to pay them

You will need to pay all tuition fees, including any bench fee element and/or additional fee for off-campus study for each academic year at the starting point of your research degree and at the start of each subsequent academic year. Fees payable will depend on your residency classification:

Bench fees are charged for the following:

a. Laboratory or specialist consumables;
b. Specialist technical support which is not available within the University;
c. Specialist off-site testing of samples or processing of data which cannot be done at the University;
d. Travel to other laboratories or field sites, which is essential to complete the project.

Full-time students who enter a lapse year pay a different rate. This is often referred to as a ‘writing-up’ fee. The fee rate depends on your residency classification.

The fee for the year is payable in two halves. If you submit your thesis in the first half of your final year you will not have to pay fees for the second part of the year.

For more details on fee amounts visit:

UK student fees

International student fees

Once you have submitted your thesis you will not be liable for more tuition fees in subsequent charging periods eg the next academic year, even if the outcome of the examination requires you to revise your thesis further.

You are responsible for the payment of all fees. You may be able to make an arrangement at enrolment to pay your tuition fees by instalments after an initial payment.

If your fees are to be paid by a sponsoring organisation documentary proof of sponsorship will be required. You should also be aware that sponsors do not often pay fees for the final year of study and also that if you sponsoring organisation defaults on the payment you will become liable for your fees.

Please refer to the Tuition Fee Policy.

Postgraduate Research Funding Opportunities

You are advised to explore funding opportunities at an early stage of the application process. Funding can be found from a number of organisations please see details below:

Most funding is for PhD places. Schemes vary and may provide either full cover or partial funding for tuition fees, and some may also include a maintenance grant. A list of schemes currently open will be advertised on our website through out the year and via the national press or on websites such as Appointments are then made following shortlisting and interview.. Please check individual awards for eligibility as current research students are not eligible to apply for our research studentships.

View latest Studentships 

If you’re thinking about a postgraduate doctoral course, such as a PhD, you could be entitled to up to £27,265 to help with course fees and living costs. Find out more about this product including eligibility, application and repayment information on the Student Finance England website.

The University offers a number of Research Council studentships each year. These will be advertised on the our website. These are only open to Home or EU residents. Eligibility for funding entitlements varies for Home and EU students.

You should consult the website of the relevant Research Council for further details.

It may be worthwhile enquiring at your place of work to see if there is a sponsorship scheme for staff development available to assist you with your studies.

Information about charitable or educational trusts can be found in the following publications:

All of these publications can normally be found in public reference libraries.

It may be possible to obtain a Career Development Loan for certain postgraduate vocational courses.

For further information, visit the Career Development Loans website. It may also be possible to secure a bank or building society loan to cover costs.

The Department for Education and Skills (DfES) also issues a number of publications. Lists can be obtained from:

DfES Publications Centre, PO Box 5050, Sherwood Park, Annesley, Nottingham, NG15 0DJ Tel: +44 (0)845 6022260

There is a wide range of information on the web relating to postgraduate funding. The Prospects website offers useful advice on postgraduate funding opportunities. The Euraxess - Researchers in Motion website is useful to search for international funding opportunities, including travel to conferences, organising meetings, short research visits, fellowships etc.

Funding schemes for international students are very competitive. To be successful you normally need to demonstrate outstanding academic achievement. You should make enquiries about funding opportunities at an early stage, approximately 12-18 months before you intend to commence studying. As a starting point you should contact the Ministry of Education in your own country. Your local British Council office may also provide helpful information.