Research Centre for Sustainable Transitions
The Research Centre for Sustainable Transitions (CST) brings together engineers, social scientists, architects and psychologists to address the challenges of climate change.
Using the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals we explore the challenges that contemporary modern societies face, trying to understand the systemic changes required to meet these challenges and transformations.
We explore changes brought about by Brexit, climate-related instability and associated environmental issues; questions surrounding energy demand, generation and supply, the zero-carbon agenda and its potential impact on the health and wellbeing of communities; society’s ability to predict and respond to potential future scenarios and uncertainties such as climate-induced disasters.
- Demonstrate a diverse and evolving understanding of issues relating to sustainable development and society’s preparedness for future change within socio-technical systems
- Provide new perspectives and develop unique solutions to societal, political, environmental and economic challenges, at all scales
- Embrace urgent and challenging questions for current and future generations, and produce world-class research in exploration of these
- Understand complexity, employ flexibility, and approach research in a cross-disciplinary and multi-dimensional manner.
- Produce research that is innovative, transdisciplinary, creative and impactful.