Looking for a change of career? If your goal is to become a professional Psychologist, but you studied another subject at degree level, then our MSc Psychology Conversion course offers you a flexible route towards the career you’re looking for. You’ll get to explore the full breadth of psychology and tailor your studies to your interests and career goals.
Why study with us
- This is a flexible route for non-psychology graduates into further postgraduate training to become a professional psychologist.
- You will receive Student Membership of the British Psychological Society (BPS) as part of your course fees. This entitles you to access the member areas of the BPS website, careers resources, discounts on publications and receive their monthly magazine, providing you with an understanding of the latest developments within Psychology.
- You’ll gain an accredited psychology qualification that confers Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the British Psychological Society (BPS). Then, following further postgraduate training, you could become eligible for Chartered Membership (CPsychol).
I wanted to reach a wider population to support the increasing number of people with mental health concerns but knew I needed additional qualifications to do this. I love my new career and the difference I am making to people’s lives.
Susanne Shrewsbury - MSc Psychology Conversion
What you'll do
- You will undertake an in-depth individual research project, enabling you to further explore your own interests in psychology.
- You will have the chance to tailor the course in a way that reflects your interests and career aspirations. You could opt to study clinical psychology, forensic psychology, the psychology of health and elite sporting performance, child psychology, and much more.
- You’ll attend timetabled classes at the University on one day each week and arrange the remaining study time over the rest of the week in a way that suits you. Those will other family and work commitments are advised to study part-time, usually over two years, but it is also possible to take the course full-time (allowing a similar amount of time as you would for a full time job) in one year.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
The best thing about doing the conversion course is that it’s opened so many doors for my career. I have secured a new job in the private sector, supporting children with severe autism.
Linden is a member of the Faculty Executive Team for Science and Technology. In his Faculty role, he works extensively to support the development and maintenance of a high-performing research and enterprise culture. Linden is also a Professor of Cognitive Psychology and collabora…
Cath is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a Chartered Member of the British Psychological Society. With a primary focus on research methods, Cath has been teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students since 1999 and is course leader for the MSc Psychology Co…
- This course is accredited by the BPS, the learned and professional body, incorporated by the Royal Charter, for Psychology in the UK. We will provide you with the breadth and depth of knowledge that allows you to graduate with Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) provided you achieve at least a lower second class honours degree.
We have excellent links with professional psychologists working in applied psychology practice in a number of areas, such as health, forensic and sport. Through these connections, you will gain insights into the application of psychology in a wide range of settings.
Successful completion of this course allows you to apply for further professional training in psychology. Depending on your career aspirations, you could opt to focus on specialist areas such as clinical psychology, health psychology, forensic psychology, child psychology or sport psychology.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
We offer student athletes support and opportunities for their playing careers whilst they study a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount
This course is based in the School of Psychology and Humanities
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page