Our MRes Medical Sciences is designed to enable intercalating medical students, clinicians and graduates to pursue a research career in key areas of medicine and bioscience in academia, healthcare settings or industry. You’ll receive high-quality transferable skills and specialised training on the scientific method that you will apply onto an original cutting-edge research project.
Why study with us
- You’ll effectively be a junior investigator conducting an original research project in the research team of a principal investigator/s, thus becoming an essential member of the School of Medicine research endeavour.
- You’ll undertake relevant collaborative and interdisciplinary cutting-edge research on a topic of your choice aligned with the priorities of governments and NGOs, from basic aspects of health and disease to the global health agenda.
- To enable your progress, success and satisfaction the course is framed within a support network including but not restricted to a supervisory team, a vibrant research community, and experienced student services.
Gallery01 / 03
What you'll do
- You will acquire the foundation of research methods through interactive taught lectures, seminars, workshops, skills sessions, which you can integrate through the undertaking of your research project.
- We place a strong emphasis on personal development, innovation, enterprise and entrepreneurship. You’ll gain advanced transferable skills in critical thinking, independent judgement, self-directed learning, autonomous work, and an insight of the place and process of research.
- In a project-dependent manner there may be opportunities to gain national and international external research experience at other universities, research centre, industry, NHS clinical settings and healthcare facilities.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Emyr teaches several subjects here: primarily molecular biology, research methods, and evidence-based medicine. He leads two research modules (UM1080 and XY3040) at Level 4 and Level 6 respectively. Emyr’s research background is in molecular oncology and computational biology, an…
Umesh is Professor of Primary Care and GP Partner in a deprived area of East Lancashire as well as a Quality Improvement and Cardiovascular Clinical Lead for East Lancashire CCG. Umesh is also a member of the NICE Quality Standards Advisory Committee and on the boards for the Nor…
- The centre is accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons, a professional membership organisation and registered charity which exists to advance patient care. The Royal College of Surgeons of England, registered charity number 212808.
Graduates of the Medical Sciences, MRes programme will be ideally suited to pursue the academic medicine foundation programme, PhD degrees, and research opportunities in academic or research centres as well as taking on professional roles in the medical and bioscience industries.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
We offer student athletes support and opportunities for their playing careers whilst they study a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount
This course is based in the School of Medicine and Dentistry
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page