Our MRes Medical Sciences is designed to enable intercalating medical students, clinicians and graduates to pursue a research career in key areas of medicine and bioscience in academia, healthcare settings or industry. You’ll receive high-quality transferable skills and specialised training on the scientific method that you will apply onto an original cutting-edge research project.
You will be supported by leading internationally recognised academics, clinicians, surgeons and investigators, becoming an integral part of a research group, within a thriving community of postgraduate research students.
We’ll guide you through a real-life experience in specialist medical and biomedical research settings in a project of your choice which can be custom-tailored to fit your professional aspirations. You’ll advance knowledge and practice and become prepared for independent interdisciplinary real-world research in your area of specialization and more broadly in modern medical sciences, healthcare systems (including the NHS), the biotechnology industry, and regulatory bodies.
The MRes Medical Sciences will get you ready for the ever-changing demands in healthcare and the biotechnology industry in an era of uncertainty due to pressing health threats and societal issues, eg emergent pathogens, pandemics, antimicrobial resistance, non-communicable diseases, chronic illnesses, mental health disorders, or population ageing, and we’ll prepare you for the investigation and innovation leading the study, identification, diagnosis, prevention and/or treatment of human pathology or dysfunction.
You will be able to select or propose a project across the wide ambit of disciplines at the front-line of medicine, surgery, or medical sciences specialties with a technical scope that can encompass, in a project-dependent manner, from bioinformatics and in silico big data analysis, through cellular or molecular technologies, physiology methods or medical imaging, medical devices and nanotechnology, to tools in psychology and qualitative research.
Why study with us
- You’ll effectively be a junior investigator conducting an original research project in the research team of a principal investigator/s, thus becoming an essential member of the School of Medicine research endeavour.
- You’ll undertake relevant collaborative and interdisciplinary cutting-edge research on a topic of your choice aligned with the priorities of governments and NGOs, from basic aspects of health and disease to the global health agenda.
- To enable your progress, success and satisfaction the course is framed within a support network including but not restricted to a supervisory team, a vibrant research community, and experienced student services.
Gallery01 / 03
What you'll do
- You will acquire the foundation of research methods through interactive taught lectures, seminars, workshops, skills sessions, which you can integrate through the undertaking of your research project.
- We place a strong emphasis on personal development, innovation, enterprise and entrepreneurship. You’ll gain advanced transferable skills in critical thinking, independent judgement, self-directed learning, autonomous work, and an insight of the place and process of research.
- In a project-dependent manner there may be opportunities to gain national and international external research experience at other universities, research centre, industry, NHS clinical settings and healthcare facilities.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
- The centre is accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons, a professional membership organisation and registered charity which exists to advance patient care.
Graduates of the Medical Sciences, MRes programme will be ideally suited to pursue the academic medicine foundation programme, PhD degrees, and research opportunities in academic or research centres as well as taking on professional roles in the medical and bioscience industries.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Medicine located in the Faculty of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page