Are you a dental professional working in the NHS, a higher education institution (HEI) or the private sector? Are you looking to develop as a dental educator and support the development of your team? Our innovative learn-as-you-work MSc in Dental Education is fully online, enabling you to learn in a flexible way and manage how you study.
Why study with us
- The course content is delivered through the Microsoft Teams platform, giving you a fully interactive and immersive online experience. You’ll be required to work independently, supported by peers and staff on structured tasks and related assignments.
- There are no exams on this course. Instead, you will be asked to submit coursework in the form of assignments, presentations and professional dialogue. The online format allows for easy communication with your tutors and other students and you’ll be supported from start to finish.
- As you progress you’ll develop critical knowledge and an understanding of the theory, practice, context and associated research applied to dental education. Later in the course you’ll undertake an independent research study on the management of dental education based on your own personal and professional interests.
What you'll do
- You’ll have multiple opportunities to learn about best practices from educational professionals who are experts in their fields.
- You will have the benefit of close support and supervision at all stages of the course.
- You will be part of a community of practice, sharing ideas and engaging in online discussion groups.
MSc Dental Education course is delivered over 3 years.
- In Year 1 you'll be introduced to the core educational principles and strategies in practice. Studying two modules; Facilitating Learning in Healthcare Practice and Mentoring in Dental Practice.
- Year 2 of the programme adds depth and practice experience through applying a range of educational theories and assessment strategies. You'll cover the following three modules; Teaching Methods and Approaches, Assessment in Dental Education and Appraising the Educational Literature
- In Year 3 you'll complete a research project module.
Facilitating Learning in Healthcare Practice is accredited by the Academy of Medical Educators. If you successfully complete the module and assessments you will be eligible to apply for full membership of the Academy without going through the individual assessment process. This module is also mapped into COPDEND Standards for Dental Educators (2013).
- DX4006: Research Project
- DX4036: Appraising the Educational Literature
- DX4037: Teaching Methods and Approaches
- DX4038: Assessment in Dental Education
- DX4901: Mentoring in Dental Practice
- MB4021: Facilitating Learning in Healthcare Practice
DX4006: Research Project
The aim of this module is to develop your skills in gathering and appraising scientific studies to inform your own practice. You'll also gain greater confidence in your ability to conduct independent research and present the findings.
This is a distance learning course which is taught entirely online with no face-to-face teaching.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by October 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
Vicky began her career working in General Dental Practice before developing her interest in dental education. She has worked in a variety of educational settings including Health Education North West, Further and Higher Education. She joined us in 2012 following her role as Educ...
Dale teaches across a range of Dental Education modules, with particular expertise in assessment and feedback practices and digital education. Dale is a Senior Fellow of the Advance HE (formally HEA) and is a longstanding member of the Society for Education and Training. Dale is ...
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Medicine and Dentistry
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page