Our PGCE (Further Education and Skills Sector) is a Level 7 nationally recognised qualification for teachers, trainers and tutors in the further education and skills sector which includes colleges, training providers and sixth forms.
Why study with us
- Opportunities to study and train to be a teacher at one our UCLan partner colleges across the North West.
- A wide range of teaching roles, with opportunities for progression and promotion, are available across the further education and skills sector.
- Our course is well established and enjoys an excellent reputation in the further education and skills sector.
What you'll do
- Train to be a teacher in the further education and skills sector, studying at one of our North West partner colleges of your choice.
- Undertake your own project work on topics within teaching that have interest and relevance to your specialist subject and future career.
- Apply the latest thinking on teaching to equip yourself with the knowledge and skills required to work in the exciting and dynamic further education and skills sector.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Alternative initial teacher education courses
If you find that the PGCE isn’t for you, you might want to consider one of our other Initial Teacher Education courses:
Delivery: Partner College
Study mode: Full time or Part-time
Duration: 1 year (full-time) or 2 years (part-time)
Start date: September
Campus: Partner College(s)
Full time and part time
- Blackburn College
- Hugh Baird College
- Wigan & Leigh College
Part time only
- Preston College
- Furness College
- Lakes College West Cumbria
- Myerscough College
- St Helens College
The PGCE (Further Education and Skills Sector) opens up a wide range of teaching opportunities across the sector. There are also opportunities to progress to higher levels of study, including master’s degrees and doctorates.
View the course facilities
As well as having access to the facilities and resources at your chosen partner college, you will also have access to facilities at UCLan, including the library and online resources.
Fees and funding
Please contact your chosen college(s) for fees information as partner colleges have their own fees structure.
The course is eligible for applications to Student Finance England for a student loan to cover the full costs of your tuition fees. In addition, you may be eligible for a maintenance loan depending on your household income.
As part of your course, there may be additional costs to consider that are not included in your tuition fees. Most of these will be optional, but some courses have essential additional costs. Find out more about additional costs.
This course is based in the School of Psychology and Humanities
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page