Arriving in the UK

Welcome and arrival information

If you are travelling to the UK to start university, you'll find everything you need to know on this page. This includes advice on what to bring, what to expect at the airport, and traveling to campus.

Starting university soon?

Before you join university, there are a few things you need to do. From arrival information to enrolment and course induction, use our checklist to make sure you have everything covered before you join us.

For the latest coronavirus advice on travelling to England from another country, please read the latest Government guidance.

Flying to the UK

We highly recommend that you fly into Manchester Airport as this is the closest Airport to all our campuses. This may allow you to use our University Airport Transfer service as it is only available from Manchester Airport, so if you choose to fly into another UK airport, be sure to check what transport links are available to get you to campus.

If your flight into the UK arrives at Manchester airport on one of our transfer dates, you may be able to request an Airport Transfer. For more information on our Airport Transfer service, you can register your interest here. 

What to bring with you

We strongly advise you to not bring more than two suitcases and one piece of hand luggage. If you bring any more than this, you may be unable to use the airport transfer service mentioned above due to the limited luggage space available and you may find it difficult if you are travelling to campus by public transport. There are plenty of shops close to our Preston Campus where you can purchase household goods such as crockery, cutlery, bedding, towels and kitchen appliances if needed. If you arrive after the shops have closed, bedding packs can be provided on loan by UCLan Security for overnight use.

What to expect at the airport

On arrival at Manchester Airport, you will need to pass through Immigration Control. Please make sure you have your passport and visa or valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card (if you already have one) ready to show at Immigration Control.

The Immigration Officer may also ask to see documents you submitted as part of your visa application, or your CAS letter from UCLan, as proof that you are going to be studying in the UK. For further information on entering the UK, please read the website advice.

Travelling to campus

The University offers a free airport transfer for all new overseas UCLan students. To register your interest in the service, please complete our online form and we will contact you prior to the start of term in order to confirm details about the service that we are able to offer.

Need help planning your journey?

Once you have received your CAS letter, Student Services staff will contact you by email with further information that will help you prepare for your arrival in the UK. Should you have any questions or concerns you can respond to the emails or contact us direct on