We have been transforming lives since 1828 and have always been committed to access and widening participation.
We pride ourselves on being an open and accessible institution for people from all backgrounds. We believe in the power of higher education to promote social mobility. Our extensive widening participation activities and student support services reflect this.
We work with groups that are under-represented in higher education. Theses include:
- Young people from low socioeconomic or disadvantaged backgrounds
- Care-experienced and young people estranged from their families
- Young carers
- Disabled students
- Refugee and asylum seekers
Activities we offer
How to book
These activities are available to schools or community groups where a high proportion of young people can be described as:
- Living in a low HE-participation neighbourhood (POLAR4 Q1 or Q2) Check here: Search by postcode
- Live in an area of high deprivation (IMD D1-4) Check here: English indices of deprivation 2019: Postcode Lookup MHCLG Open Data
- Eligible for pupil premium
- Would be the first in their immediate family to go to university
- Looked after children or care-leavers
- Have caring responsibilities
- Forced migrants
- Have a disability
- Gypsy Roma Traveller background
- Are from a military family
We offer a wide range of activities for groups that do not have a high proportion of young people from the groups above through our schools and college team. For more information see our schools and college page.
UCLan and Ri Young Scientist Centre
The Young Scientist Centre is a partnership between UCLan and the Royal Institution of Great Britain. It’s a vibrant laboratory space dedicated to delivering workshops for schools and colleges. We offer all state-funded high schools and FE colleges one free workshop per key stage. For primary schools, we are offering one free workshop if your school has above 30% pupil premium.
Success and Progression
At the University of Central Lancashire, we’ll be here for all students, no matter what. We work with our students to ensure success in their studies and progress into great careers or further study. We are committed to reducing and eliminating gaps in achievement between the different groups of students who study with us. We have a range of financial support packages to support students.
We provide targeted support for specific groups including but not limited to