Our Sports Journalism Foundation Entry Degree gives you an insight into the practice of journalism and the skills and knowledge required by journalists.
Why study with us
- 2ndin the North West for graduate prospects (outcomes)Complete University Guide (Communication & Media Studies)
5in the UK for overall positivityNational Student Survey (Journalism) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
5in the UK for academic supportNational Student Survey (Journalism) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
- We have partnerships with a range of media outlets, football clubs, and many others sporting organisations.
- Optional modules in the later stages of the course enable you to follow a variety of vocational pathways, which are best suited to your career aspirations.
- Each print newsroom contains 20 computers (MACs and PCs) with specialist software such as InDesign and EScenic. There’s also a TV with access to rolling 24-hr news channels.
Hear from graduate Tom about his time studying here
A day in the life of a Journalism student
Gallery01 / 05
What you’ll do
- We’re part of the Google News Lab University Network. Access in-person and online training on topics including immersive storytelling, data journalism, trust, and more.
- Showcase your ideas, enthusiasm, skills and talent at our cJAM careers event with industry professionals. The event closes with placements awarded to successful students
- You may have an opportunity to study abroad. Students on the course have studied in the USA, Spain and China.
- AZC017: FDE Introduction to Specialisms
- AZC018: FDE Specialisms
AZC017: FDE Introduction to Specialisms
You’ll be introduced to the variety of ways in which creative practitioners have shaped society and the way in which society influences creative practice. We’ll help you acquire foundational skills appropriate to a range of specialist areas and introduce you to the wide range of choices in Arts and Media by presenting you with the challenges of problem-solving through creative practice which includes the development of ideas and a broad range of experimental and exploratory work.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by October 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
- This course has been accredited by the BJTC and recognised as providing 'general excellence in broadcast journalism training'. The BJTC is an industry-led body offering accreditation to courses for aspiring journalists.
Sports Journalism graduates work with the BBC, Granada TV, Sky Sports, the Press Association, Sunday Express, Daily Star, Everton FC, Manchester United FC, UK Athletics, and many more print, online, broadcast and sports organisations.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
Foundation Year Bursary
Our Foundation Year Bursary Scheme is for students starting a 4 or 5 year Undergraduate Degree programme.Find out more about Foundation Year Bursary