Quantity Surveying (Foundation Entry)
Are you a problem-solver with an analytical mind? Learn the quantity surveying role and explore its strong commercial and contractual bias. It’s the financial service of the construction industry.
Foundation Entry degree courses are designed for students who have the ability to study for a degree, but don’t have the necessary formal qualifications to directly enter their chosen Honours degree programme.
During your Foundation Entry Year, you will study alongside peers from related courses, gaining a broad introduction to the principles and concepts of engineering, underpinned by a sound knowledge and understanding of scientific principles.
The tasks of a quantity surveyor are challenging and varied. On our degree you’ll gain a sound understanding of construction technology, management and economics.
You’ll act as financial advisor to your client or contractor, managing costs on construction sites and providing ideas and creative solutions for projects.
Why study with us
- Our course can be delivered flexibly, including part-time delivery just one day per week, allowing you to study whilst in employment.
- Study and share knowledge with students on the construction project management, facilities management and building surveying degrees.
- Quantity surveyors design and produce tenders and contracts. You’ll learn how to manage this part of the process with an in-depth working knowledge of construction law.
What you'll do
- You’ll be taught by experienced practitioners with extensive industry experience.
- The £35m Engineering Innovation Centre enables you to work on real-world projects with commercial partners in state-of-the-art facilities.
- Learn how to use subject-specific software associated with quantity surveying and prepare you for a smooth transition into the workplace.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
- This course has been accredited by the RICS, the globally recognised professional body which promotes the highest international standards in land, real estate, construction and infrastructure. Accreditation can lead to high level career opportunities in large organisations and private practice.
- This course has been accredited by the CIOB, the globally recognised professional body for construction and leadership. Accreditation can lead to high level career opportunities in large organisations and private practice.
- We are an academic partner with the Chartered Association of Building Engineers. CABE brings members together to share knowledge, raise standards and develop professionals. By improving collaboration across disciplines, members are able to raise competency throughout the industry.
- This BSc course has been accredited as meeting the knowledge requirements of the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (CICES). The CICES is an international qualifying body dedicated to the regulation, education and training of surveyors working within civil engineering.
Your quantity surveying skillset will enable you to carry out many different roles from office to site-based quantity surveying, pre contract estimating and project management to contract specialist roles.
You’ll have the opportunity to progress to high-level positions such as partner in a private practice, or senior manager in an organisation with a large property portfolio, local authorities or large construction or civil engineering companies.
Study in our Engineering Innovation Centre (EIC)
During your studies with us you’ll benefit from our new £35 million EIC building which provides an integrated teaching space in state-of-the-art facilities.Find out more
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Engineering located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page