Our Physics with Astrophysics Foundation Entry degree course keeps your options open in this fascinating area of study. You’ll cover everything from quantum physics to the formation of the universe.
Why study with us
- 1stin the UK for academic supportNational Student Survey (Physics and Astronomy) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
- 6thin the UK for overall positivityNational Student Survey (Physics and Astronomy) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
- 2ndin the North West for student satisfactionComplete University Guide (Physics and Astronomy)
- 5thin the UK for teaching qualityTimes Good University Guide (Physics and astronomy)
- You’ll gain in-depth knowledge of the laws of physics, and the stars and galaxies that make up the universe.
- In addition, you’ll become highly proficient at problem-solving and solving challenges through creative thinking.
- You’ll improve your mathematical skills, backed up by practical laboratory experience.
Discover our Physics courses
What you’ll do
- During your BSc (Hons) Physics with Astrophysics course, you’ll make real astronomical observations using our Alston Observatory, one of the largest teaching observatories in the UK.
- Course staff are members of the School’s Jeremiah Horrocks Institute. Many hold PhDs and are renowned active researchers.
- During your course you’ll learn through lectures, tutorials, seminars, problem classes, laboratory work, observatory experiments, individual project work and group work.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
- This course is accredited by the IOP, the professional body and learned society for physics in the UK and Ireland. On completion of this course graduates can progress towards Chartered Physicist (Phys) status.
Physics, Astronomy, and Astrophysics graduates are amongst the most employable in the world, particularly in technical and business sectors, where analytical and mathematical skills are at a premium.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
Foundation Year Bursary
Our Foundation Year Bursary Scheme is for students starting a 4 or 5 year Undergraduate Degree programme.Find out more about Foundation Year Bursary
This course is based in the School of Engineering and Computing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page