Animation (Foundation Entry)
Looking to capture imaginations? You’ll be in the studio creating from day one on our Animation Foundation Entry Degree course. Developing the practical skills and technical expertise needed to create your own film.
Our Foundation Entry courses are ideal if you have the ability to study for a degree, but don’t have the right grades for direct entry.
On this course you’ll create animated characters as well as narratives. Learning to not only capture imaginations but have an awareness of social and cultural influences on animation. This distinctive course is rooted in creative thinking and self-expression. Accompanied by a good technical knowledge of current industry practices, including; script writing, character design, storyboarding, animating, editing and sound design.
Take part in the University’s annual Games Design and Animation Virtual Degree Show. You'll showcase your talents in the final year through Degree Show projects.
Why study with us
- This course is ranked 7th in the UK with 90% of students satisfied with the teaching quality (Times Good University Guide 2021)
- We are one of four institutions in the country with a tailor-made animation programme. Our course features the latest animation software.
- Gain real-world experience through commissions from Preston City Council.
Degree Show 2022
Discover the award-winning creative work produced by our undergraduate Animation students. The degree show features work in a range of mediums by students from the School of Arts & Media.
Discover cJAM Media, our networking event for students
Gallery01 / 04
What you'll do
- Develop your creative skillset using CelAction. A new animation software from Peppa Pig’s creators, Mark Baker and Neville Astley. We’re the first University to have 40 licenses.
- Showcase your ideas, enthusiasm, skills and talent at our cJAM careers event. Industry professionals attend and the event closes with placements awarded to successful students.
- Gain employability skills by working on client briefs for the NHS. Learn how to work with clients and overcome hurdles met by professional animators.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the animation course facilities
Future careers in animation
Our animation graduates enjoy careers as animators, model makers, editors, directors, scriptwriters, set designers, and sound designers.
Graduates have gone on to work at companies such as Nintendo, The Factory, McKinnon and Saunders, Sony Pictures, TT Games, Soccer Manager, the BBC and many others.
Students from this course have won various awards. Including the Royal Television Society and Redbull awards.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Arts and Media located in the Faculty of Culture and Creative Industries
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page