They demonstrate a strong, well-coordinated research link, which contributes strongly to the relevance and currency of the content. You’ll benefit from significant investment in the latest high-quality equipment and facilities available through our new £35 million Engineering Innovation Centre located within one of the most intense engineering and manufacturing areas in the UK.
Study Fire and Safety01 / 01
- We were awarded Athena Swan Bronze status, in recognition of our direct support for women within the School, enabling women who study with us to transition successfully into industry. The Athena Swan project is a charter scheme, aiming to address issues around gender and diversity. Our Women’s Engineering Network - a friendly group of women students and staff - regularly meet to explore all aspects of engineering and to offer each other mutual support at university and beyond.
Why choose us?
- You’ll have access to excellent facilities including new, purpose-built fire laboratories, and get the chance to experience hands-on fire-fighting.
- You’ll have international opportunities, including travel and work placement with ‘Operation Florian’ - a charitable organisation working to improve fire service infrastructures.
- Benefit from significant investment in the latest high quality equipment and facilities available through our new £35 million Engineering Innovation Centre.
Careers in fire and safety
After your degree, you work in various areas to determine the causes and effects of a fire and fire damage. You could also find yourself working with architects to ensure fire protection and develop escape routes in buildings. The scope of careers means you'll have opportunities to work in science, technology, law, management or research.
Future careers in fire and safety
- Fire Engineer
- Fire Investigator
- Fire Safety Consultant
- Fire Safety Officer
- Fire Risk Assessor
- Fire Protection Design Engineer
- Fire Sprinkler Designer
Explore the facilities
Meet the team
Simon is a Senior Lecturer specialising in fire safety and health and safety. He served in the Fire and Rescue Service for over 36 years in a number of specialist roles. Simon has extensive industry experience in a wide range of issues including technical fire safety, strategic a…
Eleni joined us as a Lecturer in Fire Engineering in 2020. Eleni’s research plays a crucial role in acknowledging the immense scale of fire-related issues, which are geographically widespread. She actively engages in various research areas, striving to address the global fire pro…