Dr Eleni Asimakopoulou
Lecturer in Fire Engineering
School of Engineering and Computing
Eleni joined us as a Lecturer in Fire Engineering in 2020. Prior to this, she undertook a Research Associate at FireSERT at Ulster University. She worked on flammability and fire testing of innovative foam and glazing systems. She has also worked for more than eight years as a researcher at the Laboratory of Heterogeneous Mixtures and Combustion Systems (HMCS) Mechanical Engineering School at the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) in Greece. At HMCS, Eleni was responsible for the design, construction, and operation of a variety of small to large-scale experimental configurations and was working on EU and national projects.
She is an Associate Editor of the Fire Technology journal by Springer Nature, an EU expert, a member of the European MIC Network, Aurora Program Alumni. Eleni works with standardisation, organising and scientific committees. She has been a researcher in more than 6 EU-funded research programs when working at the National Technical University of Athens and Ulster University.
She has published over 60 peer-reviewed publications in journals, conferences, and more than 15 project reports to date. Eleni is a Member of the Engineering Athena Swan Self-Assessment Team (SAT), REF and Knowledge Exchange, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Group (KE EDI Group), the Race Equality Network (REN Group), and the Science Ethics Reviewer Panel. She is also an external PhD examiner at The University of Queensland, School of Civil Engineering (Australia), Imperial College London (UK), University of Science and Technology of China (China) and Université de Lorraine (France). She serves as a reviewer for the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) in Canada, conferences and more than 20 journals.
Eleni’s research covers a wide range of topics including fire dynamics, flame spread, façade fires, evacuation, microbial-induced corrosion, and climate change effect on catastrophes. Her expertise is in both computational fluid dynamics (CFD), modelling of fire and fire testing. Eleni has applied fundamental combustion science to study a wide range of fire scenarios, façade fires as well as fires in buildings and atrium. She supervises BSc, MSc and PhD students and works on research projects.
Lately, she has obtained funding from the UK-Home Office for the SAFE project on operational research and testing of evacuation strategies for High Rise Residential Buildings and served as an expert in ERASMUS+ project Skilled to be Fire Expert. She is a Member of the Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE), an Associate Fellow at the Institution of Fire Engineers, and an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, and a member of the SFPE Research, Tools, and Methods (RTM) Committee.
- 09/2019 - 06/2020, HEA Fellowship, PgCHEP, PHE707: Shaping the curriculum in Higher Education and PHE708: Enhancing Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Ulster University
- 09/2018 - 01/2019, HEA Associate Fellowship, PgCHEP, PHE705: Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Ulster University
- 05/2011 - 07/2016, PhD, Laboratory of Heterogeneous Mixtures and Combustion Systems, School of Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens
- 08/2009 - 03/2011, Joint Postgraduate M.Sc. in Computational Mechanics, Departments of Chemical, Mechanical, Civil, Naval and Applied Mathematics and Physical Science, National Technical University of Athens
- 09/2003 - 05/2009, BSc in Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens – specialized in energy engineering
- Anastasios Tsoris Foundation - Anastasios Tsoris Scholarships, 2019
- Thomaidio Award for scientific publications for the academic years 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014 and 2014-2015
- Thomaidio Award for best master thesis at the NTUA for the academic year 2010-2011
- Computational and experimental investigation of fire spreading in buildings and façade systems
- Flammability and fire testing of innovative foam and glazing systems
- The impact of phase change materials in fire development
- Material properties at elevated temperatures and solid reaction kinetics
- 2022, Associate Editor in Fire Technology journal by Springer Nature
- 2020, Member of Editorial Board in Fire Technology journal by Springer Nature
- 2020, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2019, Member of the Society of Fire Protections Engineers (SFPE)
- 2019, Associate Member of Institution of Fire Engineers
- 2016, Member of the translation working group of the ΕLΟΤ/ΤΕ 7/ΟΕ 5 Fire Protection Terminology – National Appendices to European normative tests and National Regulations
- 2011, Member of the Technical Chamber of Greece
- 2011, Member of the International Association of Fire Safety Science (IAFSS)
- Member of the organizing committees: 10th International Conference on Structures in Fire, 6th-8th June 2018, Belfast, Northern Ireland, U.K. Member of scientific committees: International Fire Safety Symposium (IFireSS 2023), 21st – 23st June 2023, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 12th International Conference on Structures in Fire (SiF2022), 30th November - 2nd December 2022, Hong Kong, China.
- 11th International Conference on Structures in Fire (SiF2020), 24th -26th June 2020, Brisbane, Australia.
- 3rd International Seminar for Fire Safety of Facades, 17th – 19th September 2019, Paris, France.
- External PhD examiner for: University of Queensland (Australia); University of Science and Technology of China (China); Universite de Lorraine LEMTA (France); Ghent University (Belgium)
- Grant proposal reviewer for: Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Reviewer at Journals: Fire Technology; Fire Safety Journal; Fire Technology; Fire and Materials; Indoor and Built Environment Journal; Construction and Building Material; Journal of building engineering; Applied Thermal Engineering; Applied Sciences; Safety; Energies; International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health; International Journal of Thermal Sciences; Journal of Building Engineering.
Use the links below to view their profiles:
- View their unique and persistent identifier on the ORCiD registry
- Full list of publications and articles on CLoK
- Google Scholar
- 2023, Semi-probabilistic model development to address informal settlement fire spread, Lloyds Register Foundation, (PI, £9,992).
- 2023, UURIP30: The effect of wood preservatives on time to ignition and flame spread: an experimental investigation, UCLan Undergraduate Research Internship Programme (PI, £2,376).
- 2022, Skilled to be Fire Expert, EU funded, ERASMUS+ (external advisor, £1,044).
- 2021-2023, SAFE: Strategies Aiming at Effective Fire Evacuation in Highrise Residential Buildings, UK Home Office (co-I, 200k£).
- 2016-2017, COST Action FP1404, (PI, 1,667€).
- 2016-2020, EENSULATE: Development of innovative lightweight and highly insulating energy efficient components and associated enabling materials for cost-effective retrofitting and new construction of curtain wall facades, EU funded, (co-I, 6.57M€).
- 2013-2016, ELISSA: Energy Efficient Lightweight-Sustainable-Safe-Steel Construction, EU funded (E.Ε., FP7-NMP Ε2Β), (co-I, 5.3M€).
- 2013-2016, FIRE-FACTS: Multi-Scale Fundamental and Applied Research on Compartment Fires, EU-Greek funded, (co-I, 150k€).
- 2012-2016, MeeFS: Multifunctional Energy Efficient Façade System for Building Retrofitting, EU funded (PPP-EeB.NMP.2010-2), (co-I, 9.9M€).
- 2010-2012, FC-district: New μ-CHP network technologies for energy efficient and sustainable districts, EU funded (FP7-NMP) (co-I, 11.8M€).
- 2009-2013, MESSIB: Multi-source Energy Storage System Integrated in Buildings, EU funded (FP7-NMP), (co-I, 8.5M€).
- 2009-2010, ISSB: The Integrated Safe and Smart Built Project, EU funded (FP6-NMP), (co-I, 2.5M€).
- 3rd International Seminar of Fire Safety of Facades, International University Campus, 25th -27th September 2019, Paris, France.
- 9th International Seminar on Fire and Explosion Hazards, 21th-26th April 2019, Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
- 3rd European Symposium of Fire Safety Science, 12th -14th September 2018, Nancy, France.
- 10th International Conference on Structures in Fire, FireSERT, 6th-8th June 2018, Ulster University, Belfast, UK.
- 10th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, 17th -21th September 2017, Naples
- 12th International Symposium on Fire Safety Science, 12th -16th June 2017, Lund, Sweden.
- 10th National Conference of Fluid Flow Phenomena, 2th -3th December 2016, Patras, Greece.
- Interflam 2016 Conference, 4th -6th July 2016, Nr Windsor, UK.
- World Sustainable Energy Days, 24th -26th February 2016, Wels, Austria.
- 2nd European Symposium of Fire Safety Science, 16th -18th June 2015, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- 9th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, 7th -11th June 2015, Rhodes, Greece.
- European Combustion Meeting, 30th March – 2nd April 2015, Budapest, Hungary.
- 14th International Fire and Materials Conference, 2nd-4th February 2015, San Francisco, USA.
- 9th National Conference of Fluid Flow Phenomena, 12th -13th December 2014, Athens, Greece.
- Interflam 2013 Conference, 24th -26th June 2013, Poster No. 056, Near Windsor, UK.
- 1st International Seminar for Fire Safety of Facades, 14th -15th November 2013, Paris, France.
- 8th National Conference of Fluid Flow Phenomena, 16th -17th November 2012, Volos, Greece.
- International Conference of Fire Computer Modeling, 18th -19th October 2012, Santander, Spain.
- 5th European Combustion Meeting, 28th June – 1st July 2011, Cardiff, UK.
- 7th GRACM International Congress on Computational Mechanics, 30th June – 2nd July 2011, Athens, Greece.1st Middle East Conference on Smart Monitoring, Assessment and Rehabilitation of Civil Structures, 8th – 10th February 2011, Dubai, Arabic Emirates.
- 7th National Conference of Fluid Flow Phenomena, 12th -13th November 2010, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- International Council for Building World Congress 2010, Paper 801, 10th -13th May 2010, Salford Quays, UK.
- Kolaitis D.I., Asimakopoulou E.K., Founti M.A., “Numerical Simulation of Fire Spreading in a Two-Storey Residential Interflam 2010 Conference, 5th -7th July 2010, Poster No. 064, Nottingham, UK.
- 7th International Conference on CFD in the Minerals and Process Industries, 9th -11th December 2009, Melbourne, Australia.
- “Fire Safety of Buildings” and “Electrical Safety and Energy Transition” at the European Fire Safety Week, 19-20 November 2019, Brussels, Belgium.
- “Modeling challenges that need to be addressed for future applications of façade FSE”, Workshop at CSTB Champs-sur-Marne, Paris, France, 25th September 2019.
- “2019 ICE Health & Safety Group Conference: Fire Safety in Construction”, Crowne Plaza, Belfast, UK, 11th April 2019.
- “Women in Innovation: Building Success Event”, Innovate UK Knowledge Transfer Network, Titanic Belfast, Belfast, UK, 20th March 2019.
- “Secure Societies, Horizon 2020 Info day and Brokerage Event”, Hotel Metropole, Brussels, Belgium, 13th – 14th March 2019.
- “Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions Workshop”, Ulster University, Belfast, UK, 13th November 2018.
- “Thermal exposure of combustible and incombustible structures in fire”, COST – Action FP1404 Workshop, Belfast, 5th June 2018.
- “Global Funding Opportunities – Getting ready to take on the world”, Ulster University, Belfast, UK, 15th May 2018.
- “Short course on modern techniques on thermal analysis and calorimetry”, Royal Society of Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, Queens University, Belfast, 26th March 2018.
- “Facades workshop: fire safe use of bio-based building products for facades – challenges and limitations”, COST – Action FP1404 Workshop, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain, 9th- 10th November 2017.
- “RIGOUR - Writing Successful, High Impact Grant Proposals”, Ulster University, Belfast, UK, 12th July 2017.