Dr. Eleni Asimakopoulou is a Lecturer in Fire Engineering. Her major research interests cover the computational and experimental investigation of fire spreading in buildings and façade systems, flammability and fire testing of innovative foam and glazing systems, the impact of phase change materials in fire development, material properties at elevated temperatures and solid reaction kinetics.
Dr. Eleni Asimakopoulou joined the University of Central Lancashire as a Lecturer in Fire Engineering February 2020.
In the past few years, she has worked as Research Associate in Fire and Materials in FireSERT at Ulster University and in HMCS Lab at the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA). She has received her diploma in Mechanical Engineering in 2009, MEng in Computational Mechanics in 2011, and PhD from NTUA, in 2016. She is an Associate Fellow with the Institution of Fire Engineers, an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, works with standardization committees and is passionate about fire research.
- 09/2019 - 06/2020, HEA Fellowship, PgCHEP, PHE707: Shaping the curriculum in Higher Education and PHE708: Enhancing Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Ulster University
- 09/2018 - 01/2019, HEA Associate Fellowship, PgCHEP, PHE705: Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Ulster University
- 05/2011 - 07/2016, PhD, Laboratory of Heterogeneous Mixtures and Combustion Systems, School of Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens
- 08/2009 - 03/2011, Joint Postgraduate M.Sc. in Computational Mechanics, Departments of Chemical, Mechanical, Civil, Naval and Applied Mathematics and Physical Science, National Technical University of Athens
- 09/2003 - 05/2009, Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens – specialized in energy engineering
- Anastasios Tsoris Foundation - Anastasios Tsoris Scholarships, 2019
- Thomaidio Award for scientific publications for the academic years 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014 and 2014-2015
- Thomaidio Award for best master thesis at the NTUA for the academic year 2010-2011
- Research interests cover the computational and experimental investigation of fire spreading in buildings and façade systems, flammability and fire testing of innovative foam and glazing systems, the impact of phase change materials in fire development, material properties at elevated temperatures and solid reaction kinetics.
- 2020 Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2011, Member of the Technical Chamber of Greece
- 2011, Member of the International Association of Fire Safety Science (IAFSS)
- 2016, Member of the translation working group of the ΕLΟΤ/ΤΕ 7/ΟΕ 5 Fire Protection Terminology – National Appendices to European normative tests and National Regulations
- 2018, Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2019, Associate Member of Institution of Fire Engineers
- Member of Editorial Board: Fire Technology journal
- Member of the organizing committees: 10th International Conference on Structures in Fire, 6th-8th June 2018, Belfast, Northern Ireland, U.K.
- Member of scientific committees: 11th International Conference on Structures in Fire (SiF 2020), 24th -26th June 2020, Brisbane, Australia and 3rd International Seminar for Fire Safety of Facades, 17th – 19th September 2019, Paris, France.
- Reviewer at Journals: Fire Technology, Fire Safety Journal, Fire Technology, Fire and Materials, Indoor and Built Environment Journal, Construction and Building Material, Journal of building engineering, Applied Thermal Engineering, Applied Sciences, Safety, Energies, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Journal of Building Engineering.