UK & EU Students

UK and EU Students First Few Days

You might be a little bit anxious as well as excited about your first few days at university, but don't worry, there will be our Student Ambassadors and plenty of other people around to help you each step of the way. The checklist below will help you know what to do and what to expect once you arrive on campus.

Be prepared when you arrive

Be prepared when you arrive

You'll have a busy timetable from day one of Welcome Week, so make sure you've checked your weekly timetable on the Student Portal. You'll need to confirm your ID as part of your student registration, so bring valid proof of ID such as passport, driving license or birth certificate.

Welcome Week

Registration and Welcome Events

It’s essential that you register, as funds may be stalled if you have applied for them and you will not officially be a UCLan student.

You can come along to the UCLan Library to get essential information. The following services will be available:

  • Student Financial Support team will be here to help with any finance queries
  • Information about Inclusive Support
  • Ask the Library Service
  • Medical Centre Registration
  • Information about Study Abroad
  • Cashiers – queries or payment of tuition fees
  • Online Enrolment – staff will be here to help students enrol online
  • UCLan Student Cards – production and collection
  • UCLan Print – for any queries regarding specialist printing

Keep checking back on the Students Union website, where various fun social activities are updated regularly throughout the year.

Student finance

Student finance

If you're expecting a student maintenance loan, it will be paid into your bank account a few days after you arrive on campus, as long as you have completed online enrolment and attended your scheduled registration event. Check your weekly timetable on the Student Portal to see when you should attend. If you're having difficulties with your funding or funding application contact our Student Financial Support Team.

Remember - you need a bank account to have your maintenance loan paid into. If you need an official letter confirming you are a UCLan student in order to open a Student Bank Account use our online request service once you've completed enrolment.


The Student Portal

The Student Portal and Your Timetable

The UCLan Student Portal is your gateway to all your course information, advice and learning tools needed to support you in your studies. You can also access your personal timetable via the Student Portal, which will tell you what you’ll be doing during Welcome Week and beyond. Log-in and get started or access your timetable on your mobile.

TV Licensing and Council Tax

TV Licensing and Council Tax

If you're moving away from your family home at the start of term, you should be prepared for your TV Licensing and Council Tax responsibilities. You won't be covered by the TV license at home, once you've moved to a new term-time address. If you watch or record programmes at the same time as they are broadcast, you will need a TV license, whatever device you are using. Further information on TV licensing is available via the TV Licensing website or by calling 0300 790 6071.

You may also be required to pay Council Tax. If you are a full-time student and living in a hall of residence you will be exempt from paying Council Tax. The same applies if you're living in a property where all the adult residents are also full-time students, but you will need an exemption certificate. However, if you are living in a property that is occupied by a mixture of full-time students and part-time or non-students, then you will have to pay your share of a household Council Tax bill. Further guidance on how to check your eligibility or apply for an exemption certificate can be found on our Student Support pages.

Library and IT Induction

Library & IT Induction

The University library offers thousands of books, excellent computer facilities and staff support. It is also open 24/7 during term time to support you in your studies whether you’re an early bird or night owl. In your first few weeks you will have the opportunity to find out how things work in the Library by completing an online Library and IT Inductions.

Student Support

Student Support

While you are studying at our Preston Campus you will receive academic administrative support from one of our six support hubs. These hubs will allow you to access face-to-face help and guidance from anything from timetable and course enquiries to professional placements and module registration. Find your nearest Academic Support Hub.

If you have any other questions during Welcome Week or at any other time of the year about any subject not directly related to your academic study, you'll find our team of friendly, knowledgeable Student Advisors at The <i> Student Information Centre  on the ground floor of the Library.

Good to know

Good To Know

Now that you’ve arrived on campus, there’s loads of information that you will need to get to grips with. Check out our Good To Know section to help get your first few weeks off to a flying start! From a handy campus map and academic calendar to study skills workshops and applying for your free sports membership – this section is your one stop shop to life at UCLan. 


Healthcare whilst at UCLan

We advise that you register with us, or a local NHS GP as soon as you arrive at UCLan, rather than waiting until you become ill. The University of Central Lancashire has its own on-campus Medical Centre located in Foster Building and you can register in person or by calling 01772 892598.

For dental treatment, you will need to register via the NHS Helpline.

If you have a low household income, you may be eligible for the NHS Low Income Scheme which could help you pay for prescriptions, dental treatment, eye tests and more.

In order to apply, you should complete the HC1 form once enrolled on your course and in receipt of your student finance as this will ensure you are providing correct and accurate information. Pick up a paper copy at The <i> during Welcome Week or complete the form online. The team in The <i> are also on hand to help assist when completing your form.

Your Vote

Your vote

If you are moving away from home to study at the University of Central Lancashire, don’t forget that you may need to update your electoral register information to ensure you are able to vote in the event of an election.

You can vote in person, by postal vote or by proxy. To make sure your voice is heard register to vote.