Are you seeking a rigorous medical education that will furnish you with the necessary clinical skills to practice medicine in the US, Canada and globally? The PGDip in International Medical Sciences will see you work towards the required United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 qualification.
Why study with us
- Build a course portfolio evidencing your progressive development as a medical practitioner and professional. It’s a great way of demonstrating, both to yourself and others, that you are achieving your learning outcomes and reflecting on your progress.
- You’ll acquire the knowledge, skills, and attributes necessary to deliver high-quality, compassionate medical care to diverse patient populations to the level of USMLE Step 1.
- You will have early clinical exposure via medical cases and patient simulators, learning through a variety of teaching formats including lectures, small group sessions and laboratory activities.
What you'll do
- The University’s Medical Society provides you with the opportunity to attend several events and trips throughout the year. Members also support each other through the demands of a high-pressure course.
- The Human Anatomy Resource and Learning Centre (HARLC) allows you to engage in learning about the workings of the human body. Access to the Centre’s resources supports the development of your clinical skills and competencies.
- You’ll develop the skills, knowledge and experience required to progress to the next stage of your medical training.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
- The centre is accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons, a professional membership organisation and registered charity which exists to advance patient care. The Royal College of Surgeons of England, registered charity number 212808.
International and UK Experienced clinicians and nurses actively support our students. Many staff currently practise in UK hospitals providing essential support to students in the transition to their clinical years.
We offer expert-led sessions on clinical topics. The majority of our staff have Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy. Our experienced and skilled lecturers are passionate about their subject and dedicated to educating our future clinicians.
This course is based in the School of Medicine and Dentistry
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page