Our Social Work Degree Apprenticeship has been designed in partnership with social work employers, service users and carers to enable you to develop competency and capability in frontline social work.
Why study with us
- Social Work at the University of Central Lancashire is 2nd in the North West for overall student satisfaction. We’re also 3rd in the North West and in the UK top 15 for assessment and feedback - National Student Survey (NSS) 2019.
- The School has strong links with employers: you can earn while you study and your employer and / or the government is responsible for paying your course tuition fees.
- You’ll be tutored by world-class academics with a wide range of specialisms both in social work practice and research experience.
Why choose a Degree Apprenticeship?
With a Degree Apprenticeship you get a great qualification and a career boost. It’s the perfect opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge through work-based learning, as you earn.
You’ll grow and nurture your talent through the forward-thinking businesses we collaborate with to offer a Degree Apprenticeship.
Who is this course for?
You’ll want to gain professional qualification and work as a social worker with a wide range of opportunities in sectors that include local authorities, charities, voluntary organisations and private businesses.
You’ll recognise the diversity of options available to you in the profession. Social work within adult services or with young people may be your aim; or you may want to gain your social work qualification to work in mental health, disability or offender services.
What you'll do
- You’ll benefit from our incredible experience as the largest provider of social work education in the UK - and a wealth of staff experience and resources - 79% of our staff are registered Social Workers.
- You'll work with world-class academics who keep up to date with the latest developments in social work practice by also continuing to spend time in practice
- We work collaboratively with both you and your employer through our Outreach Educator and Programme Leader.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
Considering a Degree Apprenticeship?
If you're considering a degree apprenticeship route for your studies, you can chat to our current students to find out more about your chosen subject and life studying with usFind out more
Information for employers
An apprentice is employed to do a real job while studying for a formal qualification, usually for one day a week at one of our campuses. This course meets Institute for Apprenticeship Standards and your apprentice will have the knowledge and skills required to succeed in a social work role upon qualification.
Benefits to the employer
- Enhance your workforce by developing existing employees or recruiting new staff to the position of Social Work Apprentice.
- Improve staff retention and loyalty by providing them with professional development and a high quality Honours degree.
- If your pay bill is over £3m, you’re required to pay the Apprenticeship Levy at 0.5% of pay bill to HMRC. The funding pays for training and assessment (not wages) by government-approved providers.
This course is based in the School of Social Work, Care and Community located in the Faculty of Health and Care
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page