Lecturer in Law
School of Justice
Utkarsh specialises in Alternative Dispute Resolution, the Regulation of Emerging Technologies (like cryptocurrencies, blockchain, artificial intelligence powered facial recognition) and Law and Economics.
Utkarsh's research and related work involves economics and public policy, efficient dispute resolution and the regulation of emerging technologies. As a lecturer in Law for us, Utkarsh teaches Alternative Dispute Resolution (more specifically, International Commercial Arbitration/Mediation) and Law and Emerging Technologies. In addition, he conducts workshops in International Intellectual Property Law and Law for Entrepreneurs.
Prior to joining our School of Justice, Utkarsh served as Assistant Professor of Law at the National Academy of Legal Studies and Research (India) for about four years. Utkarsh taught subjects like Law and Economics, Mediation and Dispute Resolution and Law and Emerging Technologies.
Additionally, Utkarsh has served as a consultant for various independent software vendors and has offered services in contract negotiation/drafting/editing and dispute resolution. He has also served as assistant legal manager for Chola Mitsui Sumitomo General Insurance Company Ltd. for seven states in North-Eastern India. During this period, he was awarded by the Judicial Officer (former District & Sessions Judge) of the Motor Accident Claims Tribunal for his work in outside court settlements.
- LLM in International Business Law, University of Central Lancashire, 2017
- BA LLB (Hons), KIIT University, 2014
- Nominated for the Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Scholarship in Law and Economics, 2022
- Law and Emerging Technologies
- Mediation and Dispute Resolution
- Law and Economics
- On Facial Recognition and Fundamental Rights in India: A Law and Technology Perspective.
- Utkarsh Leo & Nidhi Singh, 'Why the planet needs legally binding obligations to limit climate-mitigation 'free-riders'' (World Economic Forum, 22 June 2022).
- Utkarsh Leo & Faizan Mustafa, 'The road to Ukraine peace runs through Delhi' (The Hindu, 05 April 2022).
- Ram Singh & Utkarsh Leo, 'Covid-19 and Contractual Disputes in India' Economic and Political Weekly, 2021, Vol 56 (16) pp. 37-43.
- Faizan Mustafa & Utkarsh Leo. 'The ugly Face of a crime-fighting move' (The Hindu, 25 August, 2021).
Email: Email:Utkarsh Leo