Dr Rebecca Bartlett
Rebecca joined the University of Central Lancashire in 2020 to take on the role of Deputy Director (teaching and learning) in the School of Engineering. She leads teaching and learning developments across the School, supporting the enhancement of our students' experience.
Rebecca leads and supports the development of the School’s learning, teaching and assessment activities, working to support staff in continuously improving the student experience, support and success from recruitment to successful employment.
After gaining her degree in Physics with Electronics and Instrumentation at the University of Leeds - the first woman to do so - Rebecca started work on fly-by-light systems in the aerospace industry. She then returned to academic life to complete a PhD, and started lecturing at Liverpool John Moores University in 1996.
Rebecca’s various roles at LJMU covered responsibility for teaching and learning, quality assurance and international partnerships, most recently as Programme Leader for the Engineering and Technology, and Associate Dean for Global Engagement. Her teaching has covered a range of subjects across Engineering, particularly focussing on cross-discipline modules, and her research interests have included digital curricula, laser applications and fibre optic sensors.
She has been involved in in several EU Thematic Networks, developing common frameworks for computing education and flexibly delivered digital curricula. Beyond her core roles, Rebecca was the University’s Laser Safety Officer, overseeing the safe use of our high powered lasers, and a member of Academic Board.
- PhD Engineering, University of Manchester 1998
- PGCert Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Liverpool John Moores University, 1998
- BSc (Hons) Physics with Electronics and Instrumentation, University of Leeds, 1990
- Individual Teaching Excellence Award, LJMU, 2019
- Developing student academic and professional skills
- Trans-national education
- Quality assurance in HE
- Fibre-optic sensors
- Chartered Engineer, Member of the IET
- Member of the Diamond Scholarships Panel, Academic Accreditor for the IET
- Fellow, AdvanceHE
- External Examiner
- Programme Committee member for CompSysTech, SAER
- Review for IEEE Engineering Education conference series, various sensor journals