Aidan is the Research Lead for the School of Social Work, Care and Community, Chair of the School Research Strategy Group, Ethics Committee and a member of the School Leadership Team. He teaches across a range of programmes in the School, mostly around research methods. He also provides supervision to a range of research projects. His research has recently focussed on professional regulation and Aidan was recently seconded in to the DfE to develop policy options for the new social work regulator.
Aidan has published extensively around social work regulation in recent years, examining particularly elements of the Fitness to Practice regimes and professionals experiences of them. He has a range of publications in peer reviewed journals and has published a number of books on research methods and general social work texts. His current research looks at the experiences of the severely disabled on universal credit.
Aidan is a highly experienced social work manager and academic with a range of experiences in senior roles. He has held a number of national roles in relation to the social work professsion. From 2001-4 he was Chair of the National Organisation for Practice Teaching. From 2012-2015 he was President of the Association of Professors of Social Work, during this period he also chaired the College of Social Work national endorsement panel. In 2018 he was seconded into the Department for Education to develop policy options for the new social work regulator. He currently acts as an inspector for Social Work England. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and of the Royal Society of Arts.
- MPhil Probation as Profession, University of Manchester, 2004
- MA Social Work, University of East Anglia, 1987
- BA Social Science & Administration, London School of Economics and Political Science, 1983
- Fellow HEA 2008
- SW2800 - Working in Community Practice: Research and Development
- SW4401 - Critical Evidence and Research Based Practice
- SW4712 - Responding to contemporary issues in social work and social care practice
- Social work education
- Social work regulation
- Research methods
- Fellow RSA 2014
- External Examiner: Hertfordshire and Edinburgh
- Inspector Social Work England