Lecturer in Physiotherapy , Admissions tutor - B.Sc. Physiotherapy
School of Sport and Health Sciences
Mike teaches across all Physiotherapy year groups, as well as being admissions tutor for B.Sc. (hons) in Physiotherapy. Alongside Mike’s teaching commitments, he also maintains a strong clinical link with the Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Charity (BASIC) and is external examiner at Coventry University on their Physiotherapy and Leadership M.Sc.
Mike has worked across the public, private and charitable sectors in the UK and Ireland. He has a keen interest in how emerging technology and virtual reality (VR) can help people suffering from long term conditions.
He has worked extensively in innovative clinical environments, including using immersive environments, Virtual Reality and augmented reality to treat a range of neurological conditions.
Mike has a number of teaching interests including widening participation, evidence based recruitment and the role of simulation and debrief, in education.
Mike has a wide range of clinical and teaching experience. He worked in the NHS and the HSE (Irish Health sector) for 10 years, specialising in neurological physiotherapy. He has worked extensively with adults and children with neurological conditions. Mike has been teaching in higher education for 4 years and works as an external examiner with other universities, focusing on academic processes and regulations.
- M.Sc. in Healthcare practice, University of Central Lancashire.Pending dissertation submission (2021)
- Post-Graduate certificate in Teaching and Learning in HE, University of Central Lancashire. (2020)
- B.Sc (Hons) in Physiotherapy, University of Salford. (2010)
- Golden Rose (Student's Union) award for work in widening participation (Inclusivity and Diversity).2021.
- North West Charity of the Year 2018-19 Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Charity (Salford).2019.
- Emerging technology and rehabilitation.
- Widening Participation in Health care professions.Recruitment and retention of students.
- Member of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists
- Health and Care Professions Council
- Association of Paediatric Chartered Physiotherapists (APCP)
- Fellowship of the HE Academy
Mike is currently working on papers including: The role of debrief in undergraduate courses allied to healthcare, and a cross professional paper on the role of assessment centres in undergraduate recruitment.
- Children In Need and Garfield Weston Foundation 3 year virtual reality rehabilitation programme – providing Computer Assisted Rehabilitation Environment (CAREN) to 60 children with a neurological diagnosis at BASIC, Salford. Covenant Fund Veteran’s rehabilitation programme – providing Computer Assisted Rehabilitation environment and neurological physiotherapy to Veterans who suffer with PTSD.
- Child Brain Injury Trust conference - March 2021. Keynote speaker 'Finding rehab: how to increase the intensity of younger persons' rehabilitation using technology'
- Teaching and Learning Conference - Preston, December 2020.'I am ready for my close up: improving the quality of webinars'
- Case Management conference UK – Bristol, November 2018.Keynote speaker.Topic: ‘The role of Virtual reality in the physical rehabilitation of clients with a neurological condition'
Telephone:+44 (0)1772 896328
Email: Email:Mike Greaney