Julie teaches across all years of the Civil Engineering courses, in particular Structural analysis and design. She is involved with project modules and is keen for students to understand real life situations. Julie is a Chartered Civil Engineer and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Julie has supervised students undertaking structural designs for their dissertations and has an interest in lightweight and demountable structures for disaster relief. Julie supports the local ICE group, encouraging students to attend their meetings.
Julie worked in the civil engineering industry for 30 years before entering academia. She largely worked in structural engineering, working for design consultancies but she also designed boathouses and foot bridges in the lake district. She has worked in local authorities, in particular in Aberdeen where her role included bridge inspections. Soon after graduation Julie spent 2 years overseas and the writing up of this experience gained her the ICE graduate medal.
- BEng Civil Engineering, Bradford University, 1984.
- Chartered Civil Engineer (MICE), by examination, 1991.
- FHEA, UCLan, 2020
- ICE Graduate Award 1991.
- Structural analysis by hand calc and software
- Alternatives for concrete mixes.
- Chartered Civil Engineer - Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE)