Guy qualified as an Operating Department Practitioner in 1996. He had extensive clinical experience before being employed as a lecturer in 2010. He teaches across a range of topics on the BSc (Hons) in Operating Department Practice course.
Guy is the Course Leader for the BSc (Hons) in Operating Department Practice. He also contributed to the design and development of the Degree Apprenticeship in Operating Department Practice that is also provided by UCLan. Guy also supervises learners on the MSc Advanced Practitioner programme.
Guy qualified as an Operating Department Practitioner (ODP) in 1996. His clinical experience includes employment at Auckland Public Hospital in New Zealand as an Anaesthetic Technician in the liver transplant unit, as a clinical leader in the elective orthopaedic theatre at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary and as a Clinical Skills educator also. He was employed as a part-time lecturer in 2010 and became a full-time lecturer at UCLAN in 2015. His main interests are the teaching of anatomy and physiology and pathophysiology. To facilitate teaching of these topics, he applies his clinical experiences as an ODP. This ensures that students experience teaching that has high applicability to their own practice and clinical experiences. Guy also has an interest in Human Factors in surgery and anaesthesia and conducted a research interview study that explored the factors that affect the use of Human Factors by scrub practitioners during surgery. He has several articles published on this topic.
- NVQ III in Operating Department Practice, UCLAN, in 1996
- BSc (Hons) Professional Practice, UCLAN, 2012
- PGCE Health and Social Care Education, UCLAN, 2013
- MSc Professional Practice (R&D), UCLAN, 2016
- Anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology applied to Operating Department Practice
- Human Factors including Non-Technical Skills during surgery and anaesthesia.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Operating Department Practitioner registered with the Health and Care Professions Council
- External Examiner Sheffield Hallam University