Victoria is a Reader within the Maternal and Infant Nutrition and Nurture Unit (MAINN) at the University of Central Lancashire. Victoria is a nutritionist whose research interests are in the area of maternal and child nutrition. Her research has focused on micronutrient requirements and recommendations during pregnancy and lactation, and in particular during adolescence. As well as teaching topics related to nutrition, she has extensive experience teaching research methods, specialising in mixed methodologies and systematic review.
Victoria's current research explores nutrition and social interventions to reduce the prevalence of small for gestational age (SGA) babies and biofortification strategies to reduce zinc deficiency in Pakistan. Together with Rafael Pérez-Escamilla, Professor of Public Health at the Yale School of Public Health, Victoria edits the open access international and interdisciplinary journal Maternal & Child Nutrition (Wiley) - Impact factor 3.305; ISI Journal Citation Reports © Ranking: 35/87 (Nutrition & Dietetics) 14/125 (Paediatrics). Online ISSN:1740-8709. She is course leader for the Professional Doctorate in Health and External Examiner for the Professional Doctorate in Health and Social Care as Anglia Ruskin University.
Victoria has worked at the University of Central Lancashire since 1998, first as a postdoctoral researcher and then as a lecturer before becoming a Reader in 2013. She has published over 50 peer reviewed research articles, spoken widely at international conferences, edited 4 books and contributed several book chapters in key nutrition texts. Victoria acted as a DH expert panel reviewer for NICE public health guidance for midwives, health visitors, pharmacists and other primary care services to improve the nutrition of pregnant and breastfeeding mothers and children in low income households (PH11)
- 2005:MMedSci Human Nutrition, University of Sheffield
- 2002: Postgraduate Certificate in Statistics for Clinical Trials, UCLan
- 1999: Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, UCLan
- 1998: PhD, Lancaster University
- 1993: BSc (Hons Biology & English), Class 2:1, Keele University
- Maternal and child nutrition
- Membership of the Physiological Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Advisor for the NIHR Research Design Service
- Member of Committee of Publication Ethics (COPE)