Dr Paul Fallon
Paul is a Senior Lecturer in THE Division, where his is responsible for teaching at UG and PG level as well as being the international Lead (for development and management of international partners. Paul has almost 20 years teaching experience gained from teaching, and managing projects, at four UK HEIs and their international partners (including in China, Singapore,Malaysia and Switzerland). Paul plays an active role in the wider academic community, with duties including: substantial external examining and review work; viva voce examinations; as an active researcher with a broad range of interests, including consumer behaviour and experience; and regular review work for THE-related journals.
Paul combines teaching at UG and PG level with work with international partners in China and Malaysia. He is also very interested in the development of international learners, and has co-presented an internal LSBE workshop aiming to explore, and challenge participants’ perceptions about Chinese students’ learning experiences. The workshop adopted a triangulation-type approach utilising (1) the ‘ABC’ model and (2) perspectives from both Chinese and UK-based teachers. Co-presenters included lecturers from Chongqing University of Education. He is also a member of the AACSB application team for School of Business. Paul also actively contributes to the wider THE community: member of the Network of Tourism Academics; editorial and review work (journals, books and conferences); external examiner (UG and PhD) - see Experience section.
Paul worked in a series of hospitality, sales and marketing environments before returning to academia in 1996 to study for his BA Hons in Hospitality Management. Following graduation he completed a PGCE, and started part-time teaching and PhD study at University of Salford. Since 2009, he has taught at University of Wolverhampton (2010-2013) and Sheffield Hallam University (2013-2017). In addition to teaching at UG and PG levels, these roles have also included research, PhD supervision, project management with international partners, and development of industry links for placements. Paul also actively contributes to the wider THE community: member of the Network of Tourism Academics; editorial and review work (journals, books and conferences); external examiner (UG and PhD).
- Editorial and Review Work: External review work for Tourism Management, Tourism Analysis, International Journal of Tourism Research, Tourism Review, International Journal of Culture,
- Tourism, and Hospitality Research External Reviewer for the 25th Council for Hospitality Management Education Conference (CHME)
- Belfast, 2016 Scientific Committee member for the 2nd International Conference on Contemporary Marketing Issues (ICCMI)
- 2014 Member of the ‘Event Education – An International Perspective’ Panel at the 3rd Event Education and Research Network Australasia Symposium, Australia, July 2009
- External Reviewer for the Australian Centre for Event Management (ACEM) 5th International Event Management Research Conference, Australia, July 2009
- Member of the Editorial Panel for the Emerald Journal Worldwide Hospitality & Tourism Themes (WHATT) 2008 Special Issue ‘What are the practical and psychological barriers to HACCP in the hospitality industry and how have they been overcome?’ External Reviewer for the Advances in Tourism Marketing Conference (ATMC), Valencia, September 2007
- Member of Editorial Review Board for International Journal of Consumer Studies (Leisure and Tourism fields) External Examinerships and Advisory Work: External Advisor for De Montfort University/Leicester College validation of BA (Hons) Tourism and Event Management Top-Up (June 2019)
- External Examiner for FdSc Tourism Management, Hospitality Management and Event Management at Belfast Metropolitan College (September 2016)
- External Examiner for BA Hons International Tourism Management programmes at University of Central Lancashire - UCLAN (2015-16)
- External Examiner for HND/C Sports/Tourism Management programmes at Swansea Metropolitan University (2012-2016) External Examiner for HND/C Sports/Tourism Management programmes at Swansea Metropolitan University (2012-2016)
- External Examiner for BA Hons Tourism Management, Strategic Tourism Management and Events Tourism Management at University of Gloucestershire (October 2012-2016)
- External Examiner for BA/FDA Tourism, Aviation and Event Mangement programmes at Buckinghamshire New University (2008-2012) External Advisor for the revalidation of partnership proposals for: FdSc International Hospitality and Tourism Management, FdSc International Travel and Tourism Management and FdSc Hospitality and Tourism and Events (delivered by partner colleges) at Ulster University (December 2014)
- External Advisor for the Academic Approval of partnership proposals for: BSc (Hons) Business and Events Management, BSc (Hons) Business and Hospitality Management, and BSc (Hons) Hospitality and Tourism Management. for the College of Business and Law, University of Salford (January 2014)
- External Advisor for the re-validation for BSc (Hons) Tourism Management for Manchester Metropolitan University (September 2012)
- Executive Certificate in Event Management, London Metropolitan University, June 2008
- PhD, University of Salford, awarded June 2006: "Measuring visitor satisfaction with Orlando, Florida: a comparison of conceptual models and first-timer and repeater segments’ behaviour"
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education, Bolton Institute, Sept 1998 – June 1999
- BA (Hons) 1st Class in Hospitality Management, University of Salford, Sept 1996 – June 1998
- Certificate in Business Administration, University of Salford, Jan – Sept 1995
- B/TEC HND in Business and Finance with Languages, Salford College of Technology, Sept 1983 – June 1985
- Association for Tourism in Higher Education (ATHE) 2015
- 'Making the Case' Award for a Teaching Project sponsored by VisitEngland
- Consumer behaviour and marketing in THE
- Member of ATHE (Association for Tourism in Higher Education) Executive Committe