Dr Michael Lewis
Dr Michael Lewis is a Lecturer in Forensic Psychology, Chartered Psychologist, Chartered Scientist and an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society. He teaches on the MSc Forensic Psychology programme and leads the module, ‘Psychology, Investigation and the Courtroom’ (PS4805).
Dr Lewis predominantly works on the MSc Forensic Psychology programme. He is based within the Ashworth Research Centre (ARC), Mersey Care NHS Trust, where he is the Policing and Security Research Lead. He also has an honorary clinical role at the centre and conducts psychological assessment and intervention with men residing in high secure psychiatric care. Dr Lewis is an EMDR (trauma) therapist and a trained crisis/hostage negotiator (NHS).
Dr Lewis has experience of multi-method working with hard to engage offender groups, including those with raised levels of clinical psychopathy, which is one area of his research specialism. He is the lead author on the Psychopathic Processing and Personality Assessment (PAPA), and Editor-In-Chief of the Journal of Criminological Research, Policy and Practice (JCRPP). Dr Lewis also sits on the editorial board for the Journal of Aggression, Conflict and Peace Research (JACPR), and Abuse: An International Impact Journal. In terms of external collaboration, Dr Lewis works closely with a number of police forces in the UK, supporting them with matters relating to child sexual exploitation, domestic violence and police officer mental health. He also serves as a response police officer within the Special Constabulary.
- PhD, Forensic Psychology, University of Central Lancashire, 2014
- University Certificate, Enhancing Skills in Clinical Case Formulation, University of Central Lancashire, 2012
- MSc, Forensic Psychology, University of Central Lancashire, 2010
- BSc (Hons), Psychology with Criminology, Leeds Metropolitan University, 2009
- Clinical psychopathy
- Aggression (including motivation)
- Child criminal and sexual exploitation
- Missing persons
- Organised crime
- Police officer wellbeing
- Subject External Examiner
- MSc Forensic Psychology, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2016-2020
- BSc (Hons) Criminal Psychology, University of Derby, 2016-2020
- BSc (Hons) Psychosocial Analysis of Offending Behaviour, Edge Hill University, 2019-Present