Dr Kathryn Jarvis
Senior Research Fellow, Stroke Team, Senior Lecturer in Occupational Therapy and Professional Lead for Occupational Therapy
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Kathryn is an occupational therapist who combines clinical knowledge, education and teaching experience, and research skills to further evidence-informed practice in stroke rehabilitation.
Following qualification as an occupational therapist in 1989, Kathryn pursued a career in stroke rehabilitation, working in Stoke-on-Trent and Sheffield. This work raised unanswered clinical questions which formed the foundations of Kathryn’s research, initially through a MSc at Loughborough University and subsequently a PhD at Keele University. Kathryn entered Higher Education as a Lecturer at the University of Liverpool in 2001, moving to UCLan in 2018 to lead the MSc (pre-registration) Occupational Therapy programme. She is committed to the provision of high-quality learning opportunities and teaching delivery, promotion of the occupational therapy profession and engagement in clinical and educational research.
Kathryn leads the Cumbria and Lancashire Council for Allied Health Profession Research Hub (CAHPR). In this role Kathryn supports allied health professionals develop their research skills and knowledge to further evidence-based practice.
Kathryn's own research interests are situated in recovery from stroke and implementation of complex therapeutic interventions and can be summarised as three inter-related areas:
- Recovery of function in the arm and hand following stroke
- Development and adoption of digital health technologies in healthcare rehabilitation settings
- Restructuring occupations following stroke
She holds a variety of external positions and has a strong profile in knowledge exchange.
- Doctor of Philosophy: ‘Occupational therapy for the upper limb after stroke: implementing evidence-based constraint induced movement therapy into practice’, Keele University, 2016
- Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (distinction): University of Liverpool, 2003
- Master of Science: ‘Research in Remedial and Caring Practice’, Loughborough University of Technology, 1995
- Diploma of the College of Occupational Therapists: Derby School of Occupational Therapy, 1989
- Sir Alastair Pilkington Award 2017, University of Liverpool awarded for a project between the Directorate of Occupational Therapy and the School entitled ‘A collaborative model of inter-professional learning’
- Guild of Students ‘Teacher of the Year’, 2016 University of Liverpool
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Recovery of upper limb function
- Implementation of complex interventions
- Health and Care Professions Council:OT17501
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) (2015-date) Recognition Number: PR086932
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (1986-date)
- The Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Neurological Practice (1995-date)
- The Society for Research in Rehabilitation-Associate Member (2008-2017), Full Member (2017-date)
Use the links below to view their profiles: