Ian has been at The University of Central Lancashire since 2002, when he joined the then Lancashire Law School from Coventry University as a Lecturer in Law. In his time at UCLan Ian has taught on a number of modules at undergraduate and postgraduate level. When Ian is not teaching, he spends much of his time engaged in academic research and bidding for external funding. Ian is also responsible for supervising several Postgraduate Research students on PhD, MPhil and LLM programmes.
Ian is Reader in Human Rights and Security in the School of Law and Social Science. He is also the Lead for Postgraduate Research Degrees in his School.
Ian has been published widely in the areas of human rights, security, counter-terrorism and legal and political theory, particularly on issues relating to the killing, torture and censorship of terror suspects. He has also presented papers at a number of prestigious international conferences in Europe and North America. Ian has taught undergraduate and postgraduate modules in constitutional and administrative law, human rights, criminal law and counter-terrorism. Ian has held various administrative roles in the School of Law and Social Science: he was a Research Degrees Tutor before becoming the Lead for Postgraduate Research; he was the Course Leader for LLB Law with Criminology, BA Law and Criminology and BA Human Rights. Before becoming a Course Leader, Ian was the Second Year Tutor on the LLB Law programme.
- PhD (by Published Works), the University of Central Lancashire, 2016
- PGCE in Further, Adult and Higher Education, the University of Wolverhampton, 2000
- LLM by Research, the University of Birmingham, 1999
- BA (Hons) Law, Sheffield Hallam University, 1994
- LW1024 - Public Law
- LW2033 - Human Rights
- LW3018 - Criminal Law Relating to Sex and Violence
- LA4503 - Transnational Regulation of Terrorism
- Threats to UK security post 9/11
- Rights and responsibilities
- Freedom of Expression
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- External Examiner, MA in Human Rights, the School of Advanced Study, the University of London
- Associate Editor, the International Journal of Human Rights
- Editorial Board member, Democracy and Security
- Editorial Board member, Studies in Conflict and Terrorism
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of Society of Legal Scholars (SLS)
- Member of the Socio-Legal Studies Association (SLSA)
- Member of Association of Law Teachers (ALT)