Dr Gillian Rayner
Gill is an Adult and Mental Health Nurse, Integrative Counsellor and BABCP accredited Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist. She is currently discipline lead for Counselling and Psychotherapy at UCLAN. She has over 20 years of Academic experience and leadership in Higher Education and 30 years of Psychotherapy and Nursing. She is Reader (Associate Professor) in Counselling and Psychotherapy with specific research interests in self-harm, interpersonal processes, Psychotherapist self-care and compassion.
Gill leads the school on Innovation and Enterprise and leads the quality Assurance of our large Franchise of courses in Athens (ICPS). She supervises many different PhD's by Research, Professional Doctorate and has previously supervised a PhD by publication to completion. She has inspired and created many different courses with her team, such as the online Professional Doctorate, MSc Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy and BSc(Hons) Counselling, Coaching and Psychological Therapies. She works as a psychotherapist half a day per week in Staff counselling offering CBT and has a private practise for CBP and Counselling Supervision. She is keen to continue to develop a variety of interventions and self help resources for people who self-harm and supervise helpers to provide this, within innovation or research projects.
2017 - present Reader and Principal Lecturer Counselling and Psychotherapy UCLAN 2010 - 2017 Senior Lecturer in Mental Health, University of Salford 2000 - 2010 Lecturer in Mental Health, University of Salford 1997 - 2000 Team Leader Liaison Psychiatry Stoke-on-Trent 1991 - 1997 Senior Clinical Nurse Therapist, Ashworth Hospital, Merseyside. 7/91 - 10/91 Staff Nurse (RMN) Community Integrated Care, Dutton Grange, Northwich. 1989 - 1991 Post-reg student (RMN) Fazakerley Hospital, Liverpool 1988 - 1989 Staff Nurse, Surgical ward, Broadgreen Hospital. Liverpool. 1985 - 1988 Student Nurse (RGN) Broadgreen Hospital, Liverpool. In addition to the above full time posts Gill has also continued to work as a Psychotherapist 2018 Staff Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist UCLan Human Resources 2015 - 2017 Volunteer Counsellor/Psychotherapist Women’s Centre Salford 2016 - 2017 CBT for student nurses who have simulation phobia (project with MSc CBP students) 2015 - 2016 Voluntary CBT for military staff 2003 - 2005 Cognitive behavioural psychotherapist 5 Boroughs Mental Health Trust. (Two 20 session contracts for 3 clients per week) 2000 - 2002 Honorary Contract Pennine Care (Bury) 12-month Psychotherapy group for people with a Personality Disorder. (Integrative approach) 1992 - 1995 Voluntary Staff Counsellor Aintree Hospitals
- 2011 PhD University of Salford, 2011
- 2001 Post Graduate Certificate in Education at Salford University
- 2000 Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy Training, (Post Graduate Diploma) Chester College
- 1998 Foundation year in Group Analysis, Red House, Manchester
- 1995 Master of Arts in Counselling (BAC Recognised course, Manchester University)
- 1991 Registered Mental Nurse
- 1988 Registered General Nurse
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Mental Health Nursing
- Integrative Psychotherapy
- Supervision, Research and Innovation
- PhD supervision
- Interpersonal Processes.
- NMC registered Nurse and Tutor, BABCP accredited Psychotherapist Trainer and Supervisor.
- HEA Senior Fellow
- Gill is a member of the BABCP Programme Approval Committee and Chairs accreditation visits across the Uk.
- She has previously been external examiner and advisor for Derby University, University College Cork and the Gestalt academy of Scandinavia, Stockholm. Gill is presently external examiner for the Professional Doctorate Counselling and Psychotherapy at the University of Derby.
- Peer reviewing roles:
- Peer reviewer for the Journal of Counselling Psychology Quarterly and the Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing
- Book reviewer for Sage and Routledge publications.