Annie currently works part time at UCLan where she teaches on the Post Graduate Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy. She also supervises UG and PG students. She previously taught at the University of Salford (Social Work), UCLan (Social Work) and Otago Polytechnic (Counselling), New Zealand. Annie also has a small private therapy and supervision practice. Prior to this, she worked as a psychotherapist in a therapeutic community for people in recovery from addiction to drugs and /or alcohol. Integrating roles as an academic and practitioner has been the cornerstone of Annie's career since qualifying as a social worker in 1989 and as a psychotherapist in 1999.
Annie's is currently involved in a range of teaching and learning activities at UCLan. She continues to enjoy training and supporting the development of the next generation of psychotherapists and counsellors. She previously published articles in Social Work and Psychotherapy journals and co-edited a book (with Anne Bannister) in 2002 which explored the use of action methods when working with children and adolescents. She has also published a number of single and co-authored chapters. Taking a career break (2011-2014) to care for her mother led Annie to live and work in Aotearoa New Zealand. The experience of being a resident in a bi-cultural country and a carer has enriched her as a person and as a professional.
Annie has previously worked as an academic, therapist, nurse and social worker (1981-present). During her career she has worked in the stautory, charitable and private sector holding a number of clinical and managerial roles. She previously completed a number of small scale research projects and supervised PhD students.
- Ph.D. Social Work, University of Central Lancashire, 1995 -1999
- M.Sc. Social Research Methods, University of Surrey 1994 -1995
- B.A (Hons.) Social Work (including Certificate of Qualification Social Work), Lancaster University, 1985-1989
- Post Graduate Diploma in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, University of Salford, 2000 -2002
- Certificate of Completion Somatic Trauma Therapy, Babette Rothschild, 2016-2017
- Practice Educator (Social Work) I and II, Lancashire and Cumbria Education and Training Network, 2016
- Certificate in Supervision, Centre for Supervision and Team Development, 2010-2011
- Diploma in Psychodrama Psychotherapy, Oxford School of Psychodrama, 1999
- Certificate in Psychodynamic Approaches to Practice, University of Central Manchester, 1993-1994
- Certificate of Education, The Victoria University of Manchester, 1993
- Certificate in Counselling, Level II, College of Adult Education, Lancaster, 1988-1989
- Registered General Nurse, Princess Alexandra School of Nursing, London, 1981-1984
- United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (Registered Psychotherapist)
- HE Academy (Fellow)
- External Examiner, Cork Counselling Centre, Ireland, 2016-present
- Walter Lyon Trust, Lancaster, 2016-present