Dr Clive Palmer
Senior Lecturer in Physical Education, Coaching and The Outdoors
School of Sport and Health Sciences
Clive teaches across a range of subjects within socio-cultural sport, PE, coaching and education. He is a HEA National Teaching Fellow (2019) and a UKCGE Recognised Research Supervisor. He is a strong advocate of research informed teaching and actively promotes opportunities to showcase student writing which communicates experiences and discoveries through the study of sport.
Clive is Editor of The Sporting Image Series (2009 to date) and also the Editor in Chief of the Journal of Qualitative Research in Sports Studies (2007 to date). Clive was appointed at UCLan in 2008 to lead on a new UKCC Level 4 Masters degree in Elite Sports Coaching. Since then he has been Programme Leader on the BA Sports Studies and BA Coaching degrees and designed and led the MA in Outdoor Practice. Clive is also the School Research Ethics lead and Research Degree Tutor for PG students - Supervising MAs, MPhil-PhDs and conducting Examinations at level 7/8. Clive is a Senior Research Fellow in the THRiVE Research Centre (for Midwifery). New in 2021, Clive has designed and introduced a new PhD by Portfolio pathway to widen participation to learning at Level 8.
Clive has taught across many sectors of educational provision including HE (predominantly), FE and mainstream Secondary schools, Outdoor Education Centres and private commercial activity providers. My teaching approaches draw from my varied life experiences as a sports performer, sports coach, and aircraft engineer - formally an RAF Apprentice. My experiences of working in other sectors of education such as Youth Service, adults with disabilities/learning difficulties, Referral Units, has reinforced the importance of being a credible and approachable teacher in a broader context, and I very much bring this ethos to my work at UCLan. I gained my Fellowship of the HEA in 2013, and am currently a Senior Fellow.
- Ph.D. Title: A qualitative investigation of aesthetic evaluation in Men’s Artistic Gymnastics. Liverpool John Moores University.
- M.A. Physical Education Sport and Dance, Liverpool John Moores University.
- B.Ed. (Hons) Outdoor and Science Education Liverpool John Moores University.
- Times Higher Award for Research Supervision (2021)
- National Teaching Fellow (2019)
- Senior Fellow Higher Education Academy (2020)
- Senior Research Fellow: THRIVE Research Centre.
- UKCGE Recognised Research Supervisor (UK Council for Graduate Education) September 2020
- UKCGE National Reviewer (UK Council for Graduate Education) March 2021
- Visiting Professor in Sport and Physical Education(Hunan Normal University, Changsha, China, 2019)
- Ethics and Research Lead for Taught UG/PG Programmes. Allied Health & Wellbeing Faculty Research, Innovation & Ethics Committee (2018-date)
- UCLan (2020): [ongoing] Institutional: Teaching Excellence Steering Committee
- UCLan (2020): [ongoing] Institutional: Co-Chair of ICE Inter-Collaborative Education
- Editor in Chief: Journal of Qualitative Research in Sports Studies ISSN: 1745-2375 (2007-date)
- Series Editor: Sporting Image and Outdoor Image Publications
- SSTO Publications Sport and Wellbeing Press (2009-date).
- Fellow Higher Education Academy (2013)
- External Subject Specialist (Outdoor): School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences. Bangor University.
- External Advisor: (PE and Outdoor) University of Chichester, Institute of Sport Periodic Review Panel (2020)
- External Examiner: Chester University: BA Outdoor Education and Adventure Management. 2006-10.
- Post-graduate learning and Research Supervision
- Coaching through the senses
- Arts-based pedagogy
- Literacy and physical learning
- Aesthetic evaluation of sport
- Narratives of existence in a physical context
- Qualified Mountain Leader
- British Canoe Union Canoeing Coach: Sea kayaking, White Water Kayaking, Open Canoing
- Rock Climbing Instructor
- Duke of Edinburgh Award Expedition Assessor
- British Society of Aesthetics
- British Philosophy of Sport Association
- British Society of Sports History
- British Gymnastics Association
- Association for Physical Education
- UK Council for Graduate Education
- Association of National Teaching Fellows (member)
- International Federation of National Teaching Fellows (member)
Pedagogy and Physical Education, Gymnastics and Aesthetics, Outdoor learning and Arts-based education, socio-cultural aspects of sport, Postgraduate learning and research supervision, qualitative research methodology, narrative methods and experimental research design, PhD examination.
Use the links below to view their profiles:
- View their unique and persistent identifier on the ORCiD registry
- Full list of publications and articles on CLoK
- Google Scholar
- UCLan: Clive's Learning Shack - Postgraduate learners and research support
- UCLan THRiVE: Senior research Fellow in midwifery education
- UCLan Sport and Health Research Group
- UCLan Centre for Collaborative Learning
- UCLan Research Centre for China Studies – Special Edition of JQRSS to promote staff-collaboration across language and culture
- UCLan Arts and Wellbeing Research Group / Arts Activism and Education Group – creative opportunities for staff-collaboration across diverse subjects
- UCLan ICE Inter-Collaborative Education. Significant cross-institutional stage to share interdisciplinary teaching practices across the university in what was a Faculty group, now a cross-university group
- UCLan Centre for Research Informed Teaching – represented the School to voice Sport’s interests in undergraduate research across the university
- UCLan academic Journal - RELT Research in Education Learning and Teaching, Health Faculty
- UCLan academic Journal - Research in the Community
- Midwifery education (workforce development project) CLiP Collaborative Learning in Practice [Project 1], Continuation of Carer [Project 2].
- THRIVE Research Centre. Coaching for learning in Midwifery teams, UCLan and Lancashire Teaching Hospitals North West (HEE)
- Byrom, A., Palmer, C., Finlayson, K. and Kenward, J. (2021) Find your PLACE with CLIP: Pilot Research Update. North West (Lancashire & South Cumbria) Midwifery Learning Forum. [online: webinar] 29.1.2021.
- Byrom, A. Palmer, C. Finlayson, K. and Kenward, J. (2020) Finding your Place with CLiP [Implementation Resources for Midwife Coaches]. Lancashire and South Cumbria Midwifery Expansion, Education and Transformation meeting Group. CLiP Stakeholder Group 3rd December [online: MSTeams conference].
- Palmer, C. (2020) Outdoor Image: creating impact through arts-based learning in the Outdoors. Teaching in the spotlight: Creative thinking to enhance the student experience: From curriculum design to student success. Advance HE Bedfordshire 7th – 9th July. (Covid-19 – moved online)
- Palmer, C. (2020) Teaching to their talents and performing data - creative research methods in sport (Panel Lead). Public Engagement and Performance Conference "Flesh Out – Connections". The Hepworth, Wakefield, Yorkshire. 20th - 21st March.
Telephone:+44 (0)1772 895710
Email: Email:Dr Clive Palmer
Use the links below to view their profiles: