The multi-million pound screenwriting industry is the foundation of film and television production. Meet professional writers, network at BAFTA events and attend film festivals on our Screenwriting course.
Why study with us
- 1stin the North West for career prospectsGuardian University Guide (Film Production and Photography)
- 1stin the North West for overall scoreGuardian University Guide (Film Production and Photography)
- 2ndin the North West for graduate prospects (outcomes)Complete University Guide (Communication & Media Studies)
- 2ndin the UK for student satisfactionComplete University Guide (Creative Writing)
- Develop the crafts of film and TV screenwriting and writing for radio to a professional level - and with considerable freedom.
- Access state-of-the-art facilities in our Media Factory where you can practice various scriptwriting disciplines.
- Guest speakers from the industry and alumni share experiences of working for ITV London and Pinewood studios, or writing for Holby City and Hollyoaks.
Discover cJAM Media, our networking event for students
A day in the life of Film & TV student
What you’ll do
- Work experience includes film festivals, writing scripts for student filmmakers and working for professional television companies as writers.
- Pitch your work at our cJAM careers event with industry professionals. The event closes with work placements awarded to successful students.
- Be part of the University’s Great Northern Creative Festival – a four-day media showcase bringing together some of the biggest creative talents in the North and across the UK.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Screenwriting with Film, TV and Radio facilities
Screenwriting graduates become writers for television soaps, serials, dramas, radio plays, and the stage. Also, film scriptwriters, producers, script readers and editors, directors, researchers, publicists or presenters.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
Foundation Year Bursary
Our Foundation Year Bursary Scheme is for students starting a 4 or 5 year Undergraduate Degree programme.Find out more about Foundation Year Bursary