Fire Safety Engineering
Fire Safety Engineering prepares you for a diverse career as a fire safety engineer. Fire professionals are involved in the design of fire systems, building control and fire consultancy.
You’ll be taught by leading academics and ex-fire professionals and come away with a broad-based, vocationally relevant qualification.
You’ll study fire prevention, development and containment. You’ll get to understand the dynamics of fire, and how to design suppression systems that minimise the human, environmental and financial impact of fire.
Alongside specific fire safety knowledge, you’ll develop important analytical and critical skills, alongside transferable IT and design abilities, which will stand you in good stead for the future regardless of the career path you choose.
Benefit from our dedicated fire and safety engineering laboratories equipped with state-of-the-art equipment.
Why study with us
- Foundation Degree in Science in Fire Safety Engineering is ranked 3rd in the UK with 92% of students in graduate-level work or further study after graduating (Complete University Guide 2021)
- This exciting programme provides both workplace and practical experience – it’s supported by the Centre for Research in Fire and Hazard Science.
- Benefit from the latest high-quality equipment and facilities available in our new £35m Engineering Innovation Centre.
What you'll do
- In year 1 study includes combustion and fire, including chemistry, energy transfer and thermodynamics, design, construction, IT and mathematics. Year 2 study includes the impact of fires on the built environment, including building construction methods and materials.
- The course provides you with both workplace and practical experience and is supported by the internationally-recognised Centre for Research in Fire and Hazard Science.
- Our Engineering Innovation Centre enables you to work on real-world projects with commercial partners in state-of-the-art facilities.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Study in our Engineering Innovation Centre (EIC)
During your studies with us you’ll benefit from our new £35 million EIC building which provides an integrated teaching space in state-of-the-art facilities.Find out more
View the course facilities
- This course is accredited by the EI on behalf of the Engineering Council, which plays an active role in ensuring that the course is developed to meet the needs of industry. The EI is a chartered professional membership body bringing together expertise to tackle urgent global challenges, responding to the climate emergency while meeting the energy needs of the world’s growing population.
- This course is recognised by the IFE as a Recognised Educational Programme (with academic exemption) for Member Grade (MIFireE). The IFE awards internationally recognised qualifications and membership, and plays an active role in ensuring that the course is developed to meet professional needs."
Fire Safety Engineering prepares you for a diverse and demanding future career as a fire professional involved in the design of fire systems, building control or fire consultancy.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Engineering located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page