Fire & Leadership Studies (Foundation Entry)
Fire and Leadership Studies is the result of a unique, pioneering collaboration with the fire and rescue services, it recruits bright talent to the services and fast tracks you to senior positions.
Foundation Entry degree courses are designed for students who have the ability to study for a degree, but don’t have the necessary formal qualifications to directly enter their chosen Honours degree programme.
This course combines academic study with practical hands-on training in fire service operations. It covers leadership, fire risk management, fire and rescue operations, fire science, fire safety, fire investigation, human resource management, business and management practice.
We combine theoretical science with hands-on practical and leadership skills. Recent course improvements include breathing apparatus, road traffic accident rescue technician training and trauma care.
Why study with us
- The course is supported by an industrial liaison group, which reviews and inputs into the course to ensure it meets fire industry needs.
- An operational module is delivered in cooperation with Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service so you’ll learn from their expertise.
- There’s a part-time option for serving officers. This also means full-time students benefit from learning alongside experienced operational firefighters.
What you'll do
- Access to Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service’s internationally renowned training and fire investigation facilities.
- You’ll have international opportunities including travel and work placement with Operation Florian, a charitable organisation.
- Time is spent within services carrying out community fire safety education to the public.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
- This course is accredited by the EI on behalf of the Engineering Council, which plays an active role in ensuring that the course is developed to meet the needs of industry. The EI is a chartered professional membership body bringing together expertise to tackle urgent global challenges, responding to the climate emergency while meeting the energy needs of the world’s growing population.
- This course is recognised by the IFE as a Recognised Educational Programme (with academic exemption) for Member Grade (MIFireE). The IFE awards internationally recognised qualifications and membership, and plays an active role in ensuring that the course is developed to meet professional needs."
If you’re looking for a rewarding career in local authority fire and rescue services, this is an excellent route to take. Whilst not guaranteeing entry, you’ll have the knowledge and skills needed to pursue a progressive career.
The modern fire and rescue services look to recruit forward-thinking individuals who have the potential to succeed as managers and leaders - this course will give you a head start on other applicants.
Study in our Engineering Innovation Centre (EIC)
During your studies with us you’ll benefit from our new £35 million EIC building which provides an integrated teaching space in state-of-the-art facilities.Find out more
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Engineering located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page