Filmmaking (Foundation Entry)
Our Filmmaking Foundation Entry course is ‘hands-on’, focusing on industry practices and conventions, developing transferable skills in the independent film markets.
Foundation Entry degree courses are ideal if you’ve got the ability to study for a degree, but don’t have the necessary formal qualifications to directly join an Honours programme. It’s entirely unique, and a great stepping stone to degree study.
You’ll focus on professional and creative development in a variety of formats including narrative, documentary, independent short film and the feature film. You will also explore the theoretical aspects of Film language and its influence on modern production techniques, its historical context and philosophical underpinnings.
Why study with us
- Our graduates regularly appear in the credits of major television and cinema releases and win awards at prestigious film festivals and the Royal Television Society.
- Previous guest lectures from people such as Jan Harlan (Stanley Kubrick’s Producer), Baldwin Li (Independent Film Producer), Sarah Miller (Screenwriter), Jonathan Stenton (Editor).
- Experienced teaching team with specialisms in independent short film, feature film, promotional work, documentary film, experimental work, animation, post-production, sound recording, and mixing and visual effects.
Discover cJAM Media, our networking event for students
Gallery01 / 04
What You'll Do
- We have a well-established track record of delivering successful media students, with three recent Royal Television Society (RTS) awards in as many years, and our graduates feature in many credits of major cinema and TV productions.
- You’ll have access to our purpose-built Media Factory and spend time in dedicated edit suites, Foley Studio, sound stage with greenscreen and motion capture facilities, recording studios, photography studios and television studio.
- You’ll also learn through film screenings, tutorials and technical workshops.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
Study in World Class Facilities
Studying Filmmaking Foundation Entry could lead to a career in film production, post-production, management, screenwriting or production design.
The course offers excellent opportunities, with students employed on a variety of productions both during and immediately after graduation, and with many chances to work on real productions across the North of England and further afield.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Arts and Media located in the Faculty of Culture and Creative Industries
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page