Information for enquirers and applicants

We would be delighted to welcome you to the University of Central Lancashire. We are determined to provide the best experience for all our students and to make sure you enjoy your time in and out of the classroom.

We know you'll be thinking about the future, so we have put together some questions that we think you may want to know the answers to.

Enquirers and applicant FAQs

Currently there is no legal mandate for anyone to wear a face covering. Some people will still wear a face covering, and as a University we continue to respect those who choose to do this, as well as respecting personal space.

Before arriving, we would encourage you to download our campus safety app, called SafeZone – this is a way for you to contact security, raise a report, send your location and ask for help. Any reports are kept confidential.

The current UK Government rules state that you do not need to have received a COVID-19 vaccine to enter the UK. However, there are rules that you must follow when you travel to England from abroad.

If you are not fully vaccinated when you arrive in the UK, registration with a UK GP is encouraged to access the free vaccination. If you have received a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine overseas that is also available in the UK, you should receive the same vaccine for your second dose. If the vaccine you received for your first dose is not available in the UK, the most similar alternative should be offered. You should contact a GP to ensure you receive an appropriate vaccine for your second dose.

Please bring evidence of any vaccinations with you when you travel.

You can find out more about COVID-19 vaccinations for students in the frequently asked questions provided by the NHS.

It is important that you check what Covid-19 tests you will need and any quarantine or isolation rules as soon as possible before you travel to the UK and continue to check these at until your departure in case of any changes..

The UK Government has removed all countries from the UK travel red list which means you must now follow the rules about what you must do when you travel to England from abroad. However, please be aware that the Government do keep the red list under constant review and countries and territories can be added to the red list at any time.

Whether you are vaccinated or not, you will need to take a PCR test:

  • In the two days before you travel to England. If your journey to England is a multi-leg journey, you must take the test in the two days before the start of the first leg
  • And within two days of entering England from any overseas country.

While you are waiting for a result when you return to England, you must self-isolate, whether you have been vaccinated or not. You can stop self-isolating if your PCR test result is negative. The PCR test to be taken when in England, must be booked before you travel, and bought privately from a government-approved list of providers. You will need to build this extra time into your travel plans so that you are available for the start of the teaching period. See the full rules about what you must do when you travel to England from abroad.

You should continue to check the UK Government advice for the country you are travelling from.

Make sure you book your accommodation in advance

It is more important than ever to ensure you have your accommodation booked before you reach the UK. On arrival, you will likely need to let the border officials know where you will be staying and refusal to do so may result in your entry to the UK being refused. We urge that your accommodation is secured as soon as possible and close to the campus for any potential isolation period.

If you are required to isolate in your accommodation, you won’t be able to go to lectures, the shops, or leave your flat or accommodation at all for your isolation period. If this applies to you, we will ensure you have access to online learning and provide you with details of supermarkets that deliver food.

Yes, we will support you if you need to isolate due to Covid-19 – whether that is whilst you await your PCR result; owing to UK government rule changes or should you contract Covid-19 .

  • If you are in university halls, please notify your residences team by emailing and they can help you make arrangements for your isolation period. Out of hours, contact our 24/7 security team on +44 (0) 1772 892068
  • If you need to isolate please report your self-isolation to us, as this will help to monitor Covid-19 cases and ensure we can support you appropriately
  • Make your course leader is aware so they can arrange for you to do work from home. If you test positive for Covid-19 and are not well enough to undertake your university studies online then you may need to apply for mitigating circumstances.

On your visa application you will be given the choice to either collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from a post office or to collect it from UCLan. Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic, UCLan is not taking delivery of BRPs. You should not choose the option which allows you to collect it from UCLan. Instead, you should arrange for the BRP to be delivered to a convenient post office close to the University in Preston.

You can collect your BRP once any period of isolation is completed.

The majority of teaching will be face-to-face, in person on campus (not including distance learning courses), and students will have full access to all of our campus facilities.

We do offer many online/e-learning courses, so if your course is normally delivered in this way that will continue to be the case. If your course is normally delivered face-to-face it will not be possible to do it completely online, either because of practical work needed, or accreditation requirements. 

Where employers continue to offer placements students will be able to take up their placements.

Tuition fee payments and costs remain the same. At enrolment you must make a further payment towards your total tuition fees. We advise that you pay in full and receive a discount of £300. If you wish to pay by instalments you will need to make a payment at enrolment which takes your total payment to 50% of your first year tuition fees (with one further instalment in April) you will need to pay a further £150 for this arrangement. Whatever you decide, you will need to make this commitment during the enrolment process.

If you need to request a deposit refund you can do so by emailing Please ensure you read the prevailing Tuition Fee Policy document before requesting a refund.

All payment options are outlined on our international student fees web page. Please read this information as it sets out the range of instalment options in relation to your chosen course and related fee costs.

Useful information

  • female student asking a question at the welcome desk

    Welcome and arrival information

    We look forward to welcoming our new and returning students to the University of Central Lancashire.

  • Student helpers assisting new students at registration desk

    Welcome checklist

    Starting university soon? There's lots to sort out before you start university, luckily for you we've put together a helpful welcome checklist to make sure you have everything you need before you start university.

  • students listening

    Brexit transition information for European students from 2021

    The UK may have left the European Union but the University of Central Lancashire will always be an international community. Every year we welcome students from across the EU. Find out how you may be affected if you are an EU student and you want to study at UCLan.