Brexit transition information for European students from 2021


The UK may have left the European Union but UCLan will always be an international community. Find out how you may be affected if you are an EU student and you want to study here.

Tuition fees

  • If you are a European student joining a programme in January/March 2021, you will remain eligible for the student tuition fee loan.
  • If you are a European student joining a programme from 1 September 2021, you will no longer be eligible to receive a student tuition fee loan and home fee status unless you have settlement status in the UK or are an Irish citizen residing in either Ireland or the UK (see below).
  • From 1 September 2021, all other European students not covered by the above, will have international tuition fee status and pay full international student tuition fees and be eligible for the existing range of international scholarships at UCLan.

If you are a European student joining a programme that commences after December 2020, you will require a Student Visa (unless you have settled or pre-settled status or are an Irish citizen residing in either Ireland or the UK (see below).

All Irish citizens living in Ireland or the UK are exempt from these changes due to the Common Travel Area arrangement. You will continue to be charged home fees and receive the student loan for tuition and maintenance, as you do currently. More information about the Common Travel Area arrangement can be found on the UK Government website.

Settlement Scheme

European students who are currently studying in the UK will be able to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. You must be in the UK before to make an application before 31 December 2020 and would be covered by the Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement.

The scheme determines whether you will be given settled or pre-settled status.

Settled status

  • You will receive settled status if you have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 and lived in the UK for a continuous five-year period (known as ‘continuous residence’).
  • You will be able to stay in the UK for as long as you like.

Pre-settled status

If you do not have five years’ continuous residence when you apply, you usually get pre-settled status but must be living in the UK by 31 December 2020.

Students who receive settled or pre-settled status will be able to:

  • Work in the UK.
  • Use the NHS for free, if they are currently.
  • Enrol in education or continue studying.
  • Access public funds (if eligible).

Visas and Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

January 2021 onwards

If you are a European student entering the UK after 31 December 2020 without settled or pre-settled status and wishing to join a January/March start programme, you will need to apply for a Student Visa under the points based immigration system.

To apply for a Student Visa you will need to:

  • Fill out the online Student Visa application form and pay the application fee (no later than six months after the issue of the CAS).
  • Pay the £470 immigration health surcharge.
  • Book and take a TB test (if applicable).
  • Make sure that you have all the supporting documents to submit your application.

Once you have submitted your application, you will need to make an appointment for a biometrics resident permit (BRP).

More information about the UK’s points-based immigration system for European students can be found on the Government website.