Study for a career in midwifery via our new Degree Apprenticeship route. The course will prepare you to be a confident and competent midwife. You will support women, birthing people and their families through pregnancy, birth and beyond.
Why study with us
- Midwifery at the University of Central Lancashire came 1st in the Northwest for “Student satisfaction” - National Student Survey (NSS) 2023.
- Our midwifery and health visiting degree programmes have the prestigious UNICEF Baby Friendly Gold Award (2021) which meet the sustainability standards.
- The midwifery education team is supported by renowned researchers in the field. Members of our research team deliver lectures to support your learning in relation to the critique and evaluation of research and evidence. There are also opportunities to learn about or take part in current research projects.
Why choose a Degree Apprenticeship?
With a Degree Apprenticeship you get a great qualification and a career boost. It’s the perfect opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge through work-based learning, as you earn.
You’ll grow and nurture your talent through the forward-thinking businesses we collaborate with to offer a Degree Apprenticeship.
Who is the degree apprenticeship for?
This course is aimed at individual learners who have an interest and passion in becoming a Registered Midwife. A midwife works with women, birthing people, and their families to provide support, advice and care during pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum period. A midwife can work independently or as part of the multidisciplinary team.
What you'll do
- You'll be taught by experienced midwives who'll bring teaching to life, making learning fun and engaging.
- You'll become an active learner and engage in a range of activities. These activities will encourage the development of midwifery knowledge, skills, and values.
- You'll be given protected time by your employer to complete all aspects of the course. This includes theoretical content either by attending university or having directed study time.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the midwifery facilities
This course leads to to professional qualification with the Nursing and Midwifery Council as a Registered Midwife.
Future careers in midwifery
Once you have completed the BSc (Hons) Midwifery degree apprenticeship, you will become a registered midwife registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council. You’ll have the opportunity to apply to work as a midwife within the NHS or other independent midwifery settings.
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Degree Apprentice Care Leaver Bursary
We offer a range of support and services to help all apprentices, but you may need a little extra assistance if you have been in Local Authority care and don’t have support from your parents. Find out more about our Care Leaver Bursary for our Degree Apprentice students.Find out more about Degree Apprentice Care Leaver Bursary
Information for employers
An apprentice is employed to do a real job while studying for a formal qualification. Study usually takes place one day a week at one of our campuses or training centres.
This course meets Apprenticeship Standards and your apprentice will have the knowledge and skills to either succeed in their chosen career or progress to the next level of further professional development or study.
Benefits to the employer
- Successful graduates will have an increased ability and skill set within the sector. They will enhance your reputation with external consumers, through investing in your workforce.
- Apprenticeships can provide a way to develop your business and the leaders of tomorrow, while creating a more motivated and productive workforce.
- Apprenticeships can provide a way to succession plan, enabling specific skill sets to be retained within your business.