Simon teaches across a range of subjects on the BA Social Work. He has course leadership experience on our BA Social Work BA Social Work Apprenticeship. Simon has chaired Suitability and Practice Issues Panels. He also has lead on admissions.
Simon is year lead for learners on our BA Social Work Apprenticeship where he module leads on the second year placement. He is also module leader across the range of modules on which he teaches.
Simon has worked mainly in the field of mental health before taking up the teaching post here in 2008. Prior to achieving his Social Work Professional status in 1999 he worked as a Residential Social Worker, Professional Advocate, Housing Resettlement Officer and as a Group Therapist.
Post-qualifying, he worked as a social worker in a community mental health team, which he went on to manage. In 2006, he started teaching part-time on the mental health post-qualifying award at Manchester University.
Currently, Simon works three days a week here and two days a week for the Ministry of Justice as a Specialist Member sitting on Mental Health Tribunals.
- BA (Econ) Hons Social Policy and Sociology, University of Manchester, 1993
- MA Social Policy, University of York, 1994
- Diploma in Social Work, University of Manchester, 1999
- MSC Psychiatric Social Work, University of Manchester, 1999
- Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, UCLan, 2012
- Mental Health - law, policy and practice
- Psychosocial Studies
- 2 days per week - work for the Ministry of Justice as a Specialist Member sitting on Mental Health Tribunals
Simon has published a Chapter on ‘Supervision’ in Worsley, A., Mann, T., Olen, A. and Mason-Whitehead, E. (2013) Key Concepts in Social Work. London, Sage.