Jason is course leader for Interior Design and co-ordinator for level 2. His experience encompasses an extensive range of skills including detail and fabrication knowledge, model making skills and AUTO CAD. | He constantly seeks to expand his artistic knowledge of both materials, processes and the work of other designers/disciplines with visits to exhibitions and through his own researching. | His teaching is enhanced by experience of working with a range of digital media programmes.
Jason's teaching role encourages the design iteration process and the manipulation of given architectural spaces with a strong underpinning ethos of structured detailing and fabrication together with technical skills and a principal knowledge of space, planning, colour, materials and finishes. Jason is also Course Leader for UCLAN's BA (Hons) Interior Design Course and internal examiner for partners in HBU in China and Hugh Baird College Being active in Knowledge Transfer, Jason believes that these aspects of his work/research are important for both the University and the students creating industrial links, contacts and placements and the development of fabrication construction and material awareness/knowledge.
Jason trained as a furniture designer before undertaking his MA in Interior Design. This led him into Retail Design where he worked for several multi-national companies, developing their brand identity through contemporary point of sale environments. His personal research interests are in construction, fabrication and manipulation of materials. Jason's personal research interests which, underpin and continue to develop the course at UCLAN is in the commercial links between the University and Industry. He has established several live projects which, has involved the students in competitions to design and work for clients in real-life situations. This has helped to increase the profile of both the Interior Design course, the University and departmental projects. He continues to undertake design projects as a practising designer and enjoys developing designs for furniture. He believes that this aspect of his work is important for both the University and himself and puts the concept of design into perspective for the students.
- Associate Fellow (AFHEA) 2013
- PG Cert Teacher Toolkit, UCLAN, 2004
- MA Interior Design, Manchester Metropolitan University, 1996
- BA(Hons) 3Dimensional Design, Furniture, UCLAN, 1993
- HND 3D Design Furniture and Woodcrafts, Lancashire Polytechnic, 1991
- BTEC Foundation Art and Design, Salford Technology College, 1989
- Jason's personal strengths within the department are in construction, fabrication, detail and materiality which, stems from his industrial experience in Retail Design and construction.He constantly develops the design ethos of the course and strives to ensure thorough student understanding of design narrative and iteration.
- Associate Fellow (AFHEA)